German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wolfie has a very high prey drive. Ever since he was a puppy, he has stalked and chased anything that moves. One of his favorite things is to go to the beach and stalk the seagulls. He looks like an animal in the wild as he gets low, sneaks up on the seagulls, and freezes, then sneaks a few more steps towards them. Then he charges at them, jumping up as they fly away. I bought him a long leash so he could enjoy his seagull chasing even more. He is excellent at catching flying insects. Just the other day, there was a wasp in the house. As I was walking toward the wasp, rolled up paper in hand, to swat it, Wolfie came silently from behind me, and snatched it out of mid air, chewing it up real fast. LOL. We get a kick out of watching him chase insects in the yard. So this morning, I had him out on a leash, taking him to do his morning business. Wolfie started stalking towards the clump of Iris plants I have in the side yard. There are always bumble bees over there, and chipmunks that he likes to chase. He did his whole stalking behavior, and pounced when we got near the plants. Imagine my surprise, and my freak out, when I saw that he had pounced on a snake! EWW!!! Lucky for me, it didn't bite, and managed to slither away very fast from under Wolfie's leg. YUCK! I totally gross out over snakes. I haven't run across one in my yard for a couple years. The last time Wolfie got a snake was when we were on a walk a couple summers ago.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Good news is the snake ran away and hopefully will never be back! :fingerscrossed: I'm more freaked about insects then snakes, thankfully between the dogs and cats our house is well protected :cool:

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good news is the snake ran away and hopefully will never be back! :fingerscrossed: I'm more freaked about insects then snakes, thankfully between the dogs and cats our house is well protected :cool:
I hate insects too! Mainly spiders, but snakes freak me out more. Luckily I don't run into them that often.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Depending on what kind of snake it was, it may be a good thing to see them in your yard occasionally :) they take care of rodents that spread disease. I'm kinda biased though, 'cause I have several pet snakes :D

I love watching Lucca go into stalk mode. He stalks birds, squirrels... but my favorite is when he stalks Riley. He just slowly creeps up on Riley then pounces on her... such crazy unwavering focus in his eyes!!

On another note about snakes, Riley loves finding them. She doesn't try to catch them, but will sniff along the edge of the path until she finds the scent, then stops & lets me know like "Look mom, check it out! I found one!" She has even found snake sheds while out walking :p

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Yikes! Whew, that's good news the slippery snake slithered away :)

We had a prey drive encounter over the weekend, too! Someone dropped off a few kittens throughout the neighborhood. Clearly they don't know me, because they left one of them outside a house with three large dogs :( The Weimaraner saw it first, caught it and gave it a good quick shake before she left it. It managed to get away, thankfully, and ran under a shed. It stood there a minute first and shook itself off and I didn't see any blood, so I feel confident it's okay. It looked pretty indignant, actually. But we haven't seen it since. Shame too, because it was a very pretty little kitten, and the Weim has lived with a kitten before and they became best of friends after only one rocky introduction. I would have given it at least a temporary home. Hopefully, I'll hear where it landed.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yikes! Whew, that's good news the slippery snake slithered away :)

We had a prey drive encounter over the weekend, too! Someone dropped off a few kittens throughout the neighborhood. Clearly they don't know me, because they left one of them outside a house with three large dogs :( The Weimaraner saw it first, caught it and gave it a good quick shake before she left it. It managed to get away, thankfully, and ran under a shed. It stood there a minute first and shook itself off and I didn't see any blood, so I feel confident it's okay. It looked pretty indignant, actually. But we haven't seen it since. Shame too, because it was a very pretty little kitten, and the Weim has lived with a kitten before and they became best of friends after only one rocky introduction. I would have given it at least a temporary home. Hopefully, I'll hear where it landed.
Poor kitten. I hope it's ok.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Depending on what kind of snake it was, it may be a good thing to see them in your yard occasionally :) they take care of rodents that spread disease. I'm kinda biased though, 'cause I have several pet snakes :D

I love watching Lucca go into stalk mode. He stalks birds, squirrels... but my favorite is when he stalks Riley. He just slowly creeps up on Riley then pounces on her... such crazy unwavering focus in his eyes!!

On another note about snakes, Riley loves finding them. She doesn't try to catch them, but will sniff along the edge of the path until she finds the scent, then stops & lets me know like "Look mom, check it out! I found one!" She has even found snake sheds while out walking :p
There seem to be an overabundance of chipmunks this year, so maybe that's why the snake was hanging around.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Many of you, probably, saw this picture, when several GSDs in a doggy park, when some of them are not friendly towards each other at all, suddenly start cooperating against some other dog of a different breed. They forget their recent fights and quarrels over the toy, their movements become well coordinated as by magic wand, they, like a shoal of sharks break forward each in his/her own turn to strike a blow on unfortunate fellow. They truly remind a pack of wolves around some other, not a dog, downtrodden beast. Of course, we don't just stay around and allow it for long, and some GSDs are muzzled, but it happens time to time, some casual dog walker with his snorting boxer could be their usual prey. What I find remarkable - that, it seems, our dogs use their imagination, that that unfortunate dog embodies some other animal for them. They attack the stranger from some other pack in a manner they would attack wild boar or deer, something sinister, cannibalistic is in it. The way my Lucy was hunting small dogs (she is out of it now) I could tell too that she had applied her predatory instincts, it wasn't a sheer agression. She didn't want to confront, she wanted to surprise. She was even freezing when she saw a small dog, letting the poor creature to come closer, ambushing in the grass, hiding behind me if it was in the street. She didn't stop hunting them, but she doesn't come too close to these little beastly snappers any more.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Wolfie has a very high prey drive. Ever since he was a puppy, he has stalked and chased anything that moves. One of his favorite things is to go to the beach and stalk the seagulls. He looks like an animal in the wild as he gets low, sneaks up on the seagulls, and freezes, then sneaks a few more steps towards them. Then he charges at them, jumping up as they fly away. I bought him a long leash so he could enjoy his seagull chasing even more. He is excellent at catching flying insects. Just the other day, there was a wasp in the house. As I was walking toward the wasp, rolled up paper in hand, to swat it, Wolfie came silently from behind me, and snatched it out of mid air, chewing it up real fast. LOL. We get a kick out of watching him chase insects in the yard. So this morning, I had him out on a leash, taking him to do his morning business. Wolfie started stalking towards the clump of Iris plants I have in the side yard. There are always bumble bees over there, and chipmunks that he likes to chase. He did his whole stalking behavior, and pounced when we got near the plants. Imagine my surprise, and my freak out, when I saw that he had pounced on a snake! EWW!!! Lucky for me, it didn't bite, and managed to slither away very fast from under Wolfie's leg. YUCK! I totally gross out over snakes. I haven't run across one in my yard for a couple years. The last time Wolfie got a snake was when we were on a walk a couple summers ago.
Shadow does that with bees and I've been concerned that she'd get her mouth stung! My Golden caught a bird in flight once, and my GSD pays special attention to birds so I'm wondering if I'll see a repeat :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts