German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Nadja- AKA the BooRoo
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the first stressful walk with Nadja ever today! Usually walks are a great way for me to relax and just watch her be the broken weirdo she is, but that was not the case today. I was running low on time because I had somewhere to be so decided to just go for a short half hour to 45 minute walk in a route we’ve done hundreds of times. I’m related to pretty much everyone on my road and they’re all farmers so there are loads of places to go walking and running but that also means there’s a chance of running into someone’s dog(s), most of them are fine with other dogs and my dog the same but there are two dogs who have shown aggression to both people and animals in the past, even going so far as to kill one dog and severely injure another. Well we were walking and I heard barking and a 4 wheeler so I grabbed Nadja’s collar and booked it for the only place I could think of that would give us a barrier, an overgrown sunflower field. I knew that there was no way that that dog would be able to run through the weeds and sunflower stalks as fast as Nadja so we used that to our advantage. I yelled out my presence so my relative could know that it was just me and not some homeless person. After they left I cautiously continued my walk and when I looked over to see the 4 wheeler already across the road and the dog running straight for us. The good news is there was half a field and a creek in between us, enough space for me to think about what I was going to do if he continued after us. Thankfully he realized he was alone and ran back to his house and Nads and I resumed our walk in peace. I’m so very grateful that he didn’t attack Nadja because there is no way on earth I would’ve been able to get a 90-100 lb dog off of my dog without getting attacked myself. I also knew I was alone and wouldn’t be able to get help in time nor did I have a knife on me to defend both me and her so I am counting my blessings for sure and thanking the Lord for watching over us. Unfortunately an over active imagination isn’t always a good thing since I couldn’t shake what pictures my head was making up about what could’ve happened. It definitely shook me up a bit and I won’t be walking that route for a while.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
If this is relative, why not proactively have a talk with him/her? Personally, I don't tolerate that no matter whose dog it is! I have every right to walk down, even a country lane, with no threats from resident dogs.

And, of course, you have every right to protect your dog and yourself from an assault!

Glad okay this time, but maybe talk to them?

·
Registered
Nadja- AKA the BooRoo
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If this is relative, why not proactively have a talk with him/her? Personally, I don't tolerate that no matter whose dog it is! I have every right to walk down, even a country lane, with no threats from resident dogs.

And, of course, you have every right to protect your dog and yourself from an assault!

Glad okay this time, but maybe talk to them?
I do plan on talking to them about a couple of things about their dogs since they run amuck everywhere and it’s just not ok to have to deal with this.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Good! I'd also carry a good locking blade pocketknife too...but that's just me ;)

Reactions: NadDog24

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I would get some bear spray, and carry a heavy walking stick. You have a right to protect yourself and your dog. A knife is not good protection, as the dog will likely turn and bite your hand as soon as it feels the blade.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I certainly wouldn’t recommend a knife as a primary form of defense. I am glad you’re okay. In most of my life, truly strong dogs aren’t just roaming around harassing people. They usually don’t last long if they are. Once they’ve been hurt, most of the dogs I’ve seen terrorizing neighborhoods never come close again. I would look for something big to whack him with next time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Bear spray is definitely the best idea. Anything else including the cattle prod requires that you allow the dog to get close enough to engage you or your dog. Plus dogs are extremely quick and difficult to strike or prod. I once tried to discourage with a crop (a short horse whip) a Border Collie that would nip the heels of anyone that turned their back on him. It didn't work and he got me every time while all I ever struck was thin air. I don't live in bear country so bear spray did not even occur to me but I am sure that I could have taught that Border Collie a solid lesson if I would have used it just one time on him.
I have never liked the idea of killing or seriously hurting dogs that are a problem due to their owner's idiocy unless it's absolutely necessary. A shot of bear spray can be delivered well over 20-feet away and it is cheap, easy to carry and will deter any dog without hurting it. More than likely it will also teach it to never approach you again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Second the spray and noting wind direction. Certain dogs won't let go once they bite down no matter how hard you strike, bully breeds in mind especially. Vests and spiked collars are also a good idea (protective gear is your first line of defense, especially when your opponent will strike faster than you could dream of doing yourself). Carry a gun or knife as a last defense, human or animal. ;)

·
Registered
684 Posts
I like to carry a telescoping baton. It is light and small enough to fit in a pocket. 99% of the time I use it for poking at interesting stuff I see on our hikes. When expanded, it is long enough to deliver a good swat.

As youngen, I used to race bikes. Many times I used a bicycle pump to swat off an overly protective farm dog as I rode by. Usually, they were some sort of herding dog that would nip at your ankles as you rode by. A bike pump probably wouldn't do much against a determined dog.

Reactions: NadDog24
1 - 13 of 13 Posts