German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a member of several forums and have been an internet user for 15 years. One forum style I am a member of is watches as I am a sucker for a nice watch. But there are many different types of watches and many disagree on nuances and which is the best etc . I am also a member ( waining ) of a couple of forums that concentrate on asia and Cambodia . They are frequented by know it alls and bitter been-there-too-longs.

Tonight as I taught karma to walk backwards ( in about 10 mins ! ) and then high 5 me ( 5 mins ) and then gave her a bunch of other commands which she obeys instantly at 4 months old and I am now taking for granted ( only a gsd owner knows ), I realised there is one forum I owe a lot . This one !! Watches come and go and home is where the heart is for sure so local forums about living in a country are helpful but a dog is for life and thanks to you all I have a name ( you know who u are ) , I am clicker training successfully, I know I am not alone with biting and most of all ......I am now part of the GSD clan .

My father is 80 years old and has had many many dogs of all kinds . We used to sit down and watch Inspector rex together and I never actually "got" that the reason he loved that show was he secretly loved,admired and always wanted a GSD !! I thought we were just watching a police\dog show .

I got my now puppy GSD almost by luck and my father sent me an email after reading my blog recently about her development that was quite emotional. We have trained dogs together and we have euthanised each others dogs when the emotion has been too much for each of us to do it ourselves. We share a bond that goes very deep and dogs are something that we share. So anyway.....

I want to say thanks to this forum for all the info I have gleaned. This is an invaluable resource and is great because we have one common love in one product - the wonderful breed that is the GSD . We may have few different views on rearing and training but there is no serious bitch fighting and I just find it a great forum to visit .

So....woof woof ! Our dogs can make to the gate in 4 seconds ...............

·
Registered
485 Posts
I loved Inspector Rex!! Best show ever! I agree with how great this forum is as well - it's such a valuable source of information and it is by far one of the friendliest one I've been around as well.

Give Karma a ham roll for me :)

·
Super Moderator
32,802 Posts
What a great thread! I remember your first thread, and it's been so nice to see someone who was willing to re-think what they thought they knew about raising a puppy. Even more rewarding is watching you put into action what you've learned and how happy you are with Karma and the progress you've made with her training - great job, both of you! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Watches come and go and home is where the heart is for sure so local forums about living in a country are helpful but a dog is for life and thanks to you all I have a name ( you know who u are ) , I am clicker training successfully, I know I am not alone with biting and most of all ......I am now part of the GSD clan .
And posts like that are exactly why I'm still a member here after 10 years (I'm so old!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wild: )

·
Registered
302 Posts
I agree. I owe a lot to this forum, although it's made me a little paranoid about ears going up :)

Seriously though, this place is a wealth of knowledge and an extremely helpful community of loving dog owners. It made my life so much easier in preparing for Dutch, and now taking care of him. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HAHAHAHAH Halfway ;. Yeah.....what a moment. Its funny....when I think back to that day we went around and I had to pick our pup from 3 little bitches and I did the personality tests etc. Picking out a pup is always nerve racking because you are thinking "what if I pick the wrong one and they are a nightmare etc". Well....the stars aligned and buddha smiled because I got a winner for sure. She is my pride and joy and I would not trade all the rice in Cambodia for her.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I read lots of books and read a lot on the internet about raising a pup and training, but this site has helped me the most, by FAR. A book can't give you personal experiences and other ways of doing things like those on here can. A book doesn't give you personal advice, tips, and tricks.

The best part is that I can apply everything on here (aside from anything dealing with size) to Ozzy, so that makes it valuable not only to GSD lovers and owners, but all dog owners. :)

Love, love, love this forum. :D

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it is great that in the midst of all these proud GSD owners there is a little chocky Pomeranian ;-). Imagine a general dog forum !! Does one even exist ? I reckon it would be full of bickering and debates and "my dog breed is better than yours"......errrrghhhhh

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
hey kid, karma looks GREAT. i remember those first posts too! glad everything's going so well for you, and for karma, and that you've gotten comfortable here...there's so much knowledge, and, for the most part, a great community of people on this site. glad you're still here!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.