German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is about my sister, Cujo, and my sister's baby.

My little sister's baby will be one in December.

Five years ago, my sister was going to take Cujo, but at eight weeks old, her BF at the time, said No. Boy am I ever happy THAT happened.

My parents have the dog. And he has been raised by two old retired people -- no training classes, walks to speak of, deliberate attempts at socialization, have a chain out back for potty breaks. And twice a year the entire universe decends upon the household with kids, and babies, and drunk idiots, and noise, and hubub.

For all of that, Cujo has done extremely well. My parents in their own way have helped him to develop in a wonderful housedog, and he LOVES girls of all shapes and sizes.

My older sister adopted two girls three years ago and brought them over a few days at a time Christmas and Thanksgiving, and about half a dozen times a year they come for a regular visit. So Cujo has gotten used to little people, the running, the screaming, the smell and the sound of babies.

We do not leave him unsupervised with them, but he is extremely patient and tolerant.

My younger sister has brought her baby here since it was born, and my folks baby sit it. She had even separated from her husband for about a week or so and lived there with the dog.

Fast forward to this holiday. Her husband was his usual problem self, and they left fighting, she came back with the baby and had an ok time. My older sister's kids were there, and there was no noise about the dog. Today, she came over steamed about him, and full of anger and irritation, and the first thing out of her mouth when she entered was, "call the dog!"

This I did so she could get into the house unmolested with car seat, etc.

Then we let him go. A couple of hours go by.

The dog is being a dog, the kid is starting to toddle. Cujo did NOTHING wrong. My dad and my mom was right in there with them, and I was in the next room open to that room.

The dog walked through toward the front door because someone outside was walking a dog by, he grumped -- I did not even hear it.

She yells at me to call the dog -- I do NOT live here. I told her no. The dog did not DO anything. I told her to set up the play yard for her kid. And she did do this. But she insisted that the dog growled at her baby and was certain that he would bite her.

Like, I should sit at the computer holding the dog's collar all night because she is bringing her baby over here. When there are three adults in the room there, watching.

Whatever.

My sister is the only person anywhere who has ever had a baby, and now everyone has to jump and cater to her. Sorry, but she was cross with the dog about five times today and the dog did NOTHING.

Ok, I have ranted. I wish my sister would stop taking it out on Cujo when she is fighting with her husband.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
someone needs to yank that stick out.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Tough situation. New mothers are overprotective. Dog lovers are overprotective. Not everyone loves both.

I'd be a little concerned about a dog that is not mine around my 1 year old child too. She may have not realized what the dog was growling at. It sounds as if she is not totally comfortable around dogs and the growl put her more on edge. She probably asked you to call the dog because she knows that you are experienced in handling dogs.

I hope your sister does not read this post about the part where you refer to her baby as "it". I'm sure that was just you typing quickly in your rant and picked the wrong words.

Families and holidays. I heard an expression yesterday "it is not ( insert holiday) until someone cries.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Selzer,
Don't blame you in the least. My dog is old now. Has spent her entire "almost" 13 years of life around kids. She is bomb proof. She adores kids. I have three - though they are now older. Dog still understands younger kids and even infants. When my in-laws come with their three young kids, my dog is wonderful. Even so, my brother-in-law feels the need to tell her stop and go away. It annoys me no end. I wish he would stop and go away. I also wish he had more control over his kids. I don't trust them with my small animals. One kid likes to poke the rabbit. I warned her. She didn't listen. I was quite pleased when the rabbit bit her. Yes - she is old enough to know better. When it comes to my pets - they live here, you don't, don't like them? Stay home.

Ah - Holidays and family. Are we having fun yet???

·
Registered
604 Posts
Families and holidays. I heard an expression yesterday "it is not ( insert holiday) until someone cries."
Sounds like holidays around my family too. Only it's more like "It's not ____, until someone is screaming their head off at someone else" Italians like to scream and rant before they cry :rolleyes:

I'm with you on this Selzer. I know my dogs, I know which ones I trust and which ones I don't. If I have complete faith in my dog, family and friends that comes over to my house should respect that.
But then, I don't have kids. So I'm sure a parent would feel differently. It's just kind of insulting. I know my dogs, and my dogs haven't ever bitten your kids. I know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
When I started reading your post, I thought at first your sister's name is Cujo, and perhaps it is...family holidays, sounds pretty normal...

If your sister is around a lot with her baby, then seems to me they need to just get used to the dog. If it's just once in a while, it might be easier (and I know this is irritating) to just crate Cujo from time to time to avoid a scene. I know they shouldn't have to in their own home, but it might save Cujo grief too and he might be happy to get some peace for a while.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
i feel sorry for the baby

·
Registered
31,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cujo does not have a crate. My parents will not set one up. When he was a puppy, he was crated. But that crate is long gone. (I think it was one of mine.)

My sister was around when my other sisters kids started coming over. They were ten months and one year old when we got them. Cujo was new to kids, and her kids were new to dogs. In fact, the one girl was pretty good with the dog and dogs in general, while the other was terrified of Cujo, but liked the old English Setter.

When my sister would tell her they are going to Grandma's, she would smile, and see grandma and grandpa -- more smiles, and see Pippy -- more smiles, and see Cujo -- huge fear face.

But Mom would NOT crate the dog. She set up the pet yard, put the toys in there, and the kids could be in there when they did not want to be aggravated by the dog, or when they did not want them aggravating the dog.

The dog has the run of the house, the kids have to be supervised.

At first I was right there trying to ensure the dog did nothing crazy, but my sister would spend the night, and I would have to go home, and time after time, visit after visit, it went ok, and the kids got braver.

I thought my mother was a bit nuts to not put the dog in the play yard, but now I think she was right on. Watching the two little girls with him, is just amazing.

I would NEVER consider leaving a baby alone with him. But expecting me, a visitor in my parents house to hang onto the dog the entire time the kid is there, isn't ok.

About my referring to the baby as "it", my sister is paranoid about anything about the kid being on the internet. I certainly cannot use the name, and I am doing my best not to be gender specific. My other sister's kids, the girls I babysit, well, I have already had their pictures on here, so their mother would be out of luck if she was paranoid which she is not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts