German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to say thank you to all of you that have helped me learn and become a better GSD owner.

I bought my GSD from a byb- I know better now, I will go the reputable breeder route from now on, thanks to you!

I was thinking about breeding my male GSD when I first joined- I know better now, OFA, titles, health checks, pedigree, temperment, researching, experiencing, learning, etc should be done or checked before breeding-thanks for teaching me this!

Bloat, I had no idea there was such a thing- I know the signs to look out for now, I know it's a serious thing that requires a Vet ASAP, if ever this happens to me I will know what to do, thanks to you!

Bloodlines and drives, I thought a GSD was a GSD, I didn't know there were different lines or different drives, I didn't know there were sables- I now know and I can now help others who are looking for a GSD to bring into their homes, thanks to you!

You have helped me with other things, food, exercise, toys, training, etc.

I can now help others.

Thanks to you!

:hugs:

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I think it says a lot about this forum that you are thanking people.
I'm a newbie here, and can already see that I found a great place.

I think it's wonderful that you learned what you did and didn't just go off and breed your dog. :)
That shows you have a real love of this breed, and for that I thank you! :D

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it says a lot about this forum that you are thanking people.
I'm a newbie here, and can already see that I found a great place.

I think it's wonderful that you learned what you did and didn't just go off and breed your dog. :)
That shows you have a real love of this breed, and for that I thank you! :D
There are some people on here that mean well but they come off as rude, some that truly are mean and then there are the nice ones. After a while you learn who to listen to and who to ignore. I have found alot of people on here that I truly respect and enjoy talking to.

Thank you for thanking me! :)

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
you're welcome Lauren!! :)

thanks to everyone that's helped me out too!!!! :)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
What a great idea! I'd like to add my thanks as well, this is a really fun place to be, and I have learned so much, and enjoyed people's stories about life with their dogs. Lots of laughs, some tears, and many hours spent learning all about this wonderful breed!

Thank you GermanShepherds.com!!!:toasting:

·
Registered
181 Posts
This is a great post. I also thank everyone here. I don't post a lot but I read quite often. I've learned a lot from all the members here.

I have three GSD's. Two rescues, and one from a breeder that didn't deserve the dogs he had.

One thing I might add, rescue a GSD if you can. You not only save one life, but two in the process. If I had it to do again I would rescue again. The ones I got from the rescue are the best dogs! My Zoe is a little off, but she has her good days too.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I just wanted to say thank you to all of you that have helped me learn and become a better GSD owner.

I bought my GSD from a byb- I know better now, I will go the reputable breeder route from now on, thanks to you!

I was thinking about breeding my male GSD when I first joined- I know better now, OFA, titles, health checks, pedigree, temperment, researching, experiencing, learning, etc should be done or checked before breeding-thanks for teaching me this!

Bloat, I had no idea there was such a thing- I know the signs to look out for now, I know it's a serious thing that requires a Vet ASAP, if ever this happens to me I will know what to do, thanks to you!

Bloodlines and drives, I thought a GSD was a GSD, I didn't know there were different lines or different drives, I didn't know there were sables- I now know and I can now help others who are looking for a GSD to bring into their homes, thanks to you!

I can now help others.

Thanks to you!

I feel the same way Lauren. Thanks for posting this. I have learned so much too. I didn't know squat about GSDs. Yes, I have experience raising dogs and other various animals, but GSDs are a whole new ballgame. I am grateful to everyone for the knowledge and the support during my time with Victor. It was with the help of this forum I even recognized "hey my dog isn't supposed to try tear everyone apart". I didn't know how a GSD was even suppose to be as far as temperment was concerned. I thought Victor's behavior was normal. I didn't even know how to deal with such aggression. I will forever be grateful for the knowledge and help/support everyone gave me.

I am glad you posted this I didn't know of bybing,bloodlines, genetics, bloat,temperment-nothing. So I am with you on this Lauren. I, Victor, Jamie Lee and all my future family members thank you all.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I posted a very similar message a long time ago too- glad we can all help each other become better owners, raise better dogs and have more fun doing it

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
THANKS EVERYONE! For being there to offer advice, for listening to our problems and offering solutions, for being shoulders to cry on, and most of all for your support.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I feel like I am on Dr Phil...lol just kidding:D

On a serious note I would also like to thank all of you for the great advice and tips how to properly train and teach Molly. I am a first time dog owner at 33 years old and am loving every moment of it! Molly is now 1 1/2 old and she is absolutely amazing. I still remember the first post I wrote when Molly was about 14weeks old "Is my dog aggressive?" because she growled at us while eating. We honestly didn't no any better and the great people were very patient on explaining she is just a puppy and not to worry about it. This is why we love this site. Please be patient with newbies and keep helping them like you helped us!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I as well would like to put my two cents in (that's about how much i'm worth as a GSD owner haha) and say thank you for everyone being willing to explain things that I as a first time GSD owner didn ot understand and help allow Stoli and I to understand one another :)
I agree this forum is the absolute best as I have found out so much and learned from others going through similar things. Stoli is my first "on my own dog" and wow did I pick the best to start with....yes it's been challenging but I wouldn't change him for anything and can never see myself without a GSD since he's been just amazing
OH and everyone expect a lot more questions from myself since I'm sure I'll come up with at least one or two a day hahahah

·
Registered
101 Posts
Me too! I'm an old guy and got my first shepherd from the county pound in 1971, and have rescued 4 more over the years. But when I found this site a year ago I realized I really didn't know anything about the dogs, just that I liked them. So thanks to all the breeders and knowledgeable people who answer the same questions over and over again. Who knows how many people like me youare helping!

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I'm thankful too. While I now know that I was in no way qualified to be a puppy owner a year ago...thanks to what I've learned on this site...I'm getting better LOL

·
Registered
2,933 Posts

I can now help others.

Thanks to you!

This is a wonderful example of what education does! Someone started a thread not too long ago titled 'They would do better if they knew better'.
I think most people would (there are always going to be a few rogues out there that are going to do what they want no matter what), but I think most people want to do what's right and when they know it they do it.

There are so many important things to educate people on in dog ownership but I think breeding is certainly one at the top of the list. The point I'm getting to is new members may or may not be drawn to read threads on such.

I think it would be great if we could include a sample or two pulled from here and include it in the New Member Welcome Letter. LaRen's being a prime candidate to include. I don't know after the initial welcome statement something like here's what a few of our members have to say.

This would immediately draw their attention to breeding as well as bloat and the other items she mentioned, all of which are important. The more people we can get educated and dog savvy the more dogs we are saving.

I don't know if it's feasible or not, just a thought.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Agreed!!! Thank you GermanShepherds.com

I too am a newbie and am learning so much from this site. And I especially love the stories of GSD antics.

:thumbup:

·
Banned
37 Posts
I think putting a 'here's what a few of our members have to say' in the welcome letter is an excellent idea (reference LaRen). Does it take the owners making that decision or is that something the mods can decide to put in place if they so choose to?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think putting a 'here's what a few of our members have to say' in the welcome letter is an excellent idea (reference LaRen). Does it take the owners making that decision or is that something the mods can decide to put in place if they so choose to?
I believe it is up to the Mods? :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts