German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have said before, I use a prong collar for Wolfie, just in case he decides to chase something. He's a good walker and doesn't pull, heels very well, but I am realistic enough to know that he can pull me anywhere he wants if he got it in his head to do so. Wolfie has a very strong prey drive. Just a few minutes ago, I took Wolfie out the cellar door to go do his business. As soon as I opened the door, he went crazy! There were 3 deer in my yard, and Wolfie wanted to chase them badly. He actually tried to pull me and got pinched for his efforts. So he barked, hackles raised, teeth bared, and standing up on his hind paws until they ran away. Thank goodness he was on the prong collar.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes he is headstrong!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Good thing you were the one in control or Wolfie might still be chasing those deer.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good thing you were the one in control or Wolfie might still be chasing those deer.
Which would be disastrous! We border conservation land so we cant have a fence. On one side of us runs a 4 lane road with cars going 50 mph. The deer are always running into the road and getting hit. Wolfie would have chased right after them!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Agreed! Prong collars are the cats *removed*
They can make a gentleman out of an otherwise unruly dog pretty fast, and with little to no effort on your part. The dog distributes it's own correction. :)
Not always! I see plenty of idiots still being dragged along with prong collars because they don't know how to use (or fit!) them properly.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Free food!
Hahaha! EWW!!! I don't know if I could eat them. Maybe if it was a deer that was out in the country, but hanging around the suburbs of Boston, you never know what they are eating.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
And you could get a ticket for poaching if you picked up road kill.

So far as chasing deer - If there is more than one, the deer will wait until the last minute and then scatter all different directions leaving the dog not knowing which one to chase. It's like they explode... Having three would have worked pretty good this way.

·
Registered
800 Posts
And you could get a ticket for poaching if you picked up road kill.

So far as chasing deer - If there is more than one, the deer will wait until the last minute and then scatter all different directions leaving the dog not knowing which one to chase. It's like they explode... Having three would have worked pretty good this way.
that's when you pull out your rifle and pop one of them in the *removed*, tip the scale in your dogs favor. :D

·
Registered
398 Posts
I would suggest working on obedience and authority so no prong is needed. I never use one. Your dog should simply stop and come back if called or down on the spot if so commanded. What happens if the leash slips out of your hand or breaks?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts