German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Layla swallows things, mainly socks and washrags. I usually see her and induce vomitting. Well this time I did not, she was extremely lethargic and vomiting the poop-vomit, took her to our regular vet who gave her shots for nausea and thought she would be fine.

Well, yesterday afternoon she deteriorated rapidly, by 6 the Vet told me to go to an Emergency Clinic in Houston. She had emergency surgery at midnight, 3 thousand dollars later a sock was retrieved! They released her at 7am and she spent today at our regular vet on IV fluids. The emergency vet said if I hadnt brought her in she could have died.

And now, less than 24 hours later, she keeps bringing her ball to me and wanting to play :help:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh she has one! I swear she does this in a split second when I am not looking! For some reason she has a penchant for ankle socks.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I have determined that mine likes the emergency vet better then the regular vet and she always seems to have something going on during the weekends or off hours. It sounds like your dog is going to recover nicely, hopefully no more socks or washrags for her.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is currently laying at my feet, as I am typing I hear a ripping then crunch. Look down, pull her bandage from her leg IV out of her mouth! This is nuts!

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
I am glad she is ok. Ginger did the same thing at about 9 months old. She ate all the stuffing from a large stuffed animal. I did not realize this until the next day when I seen the empty carcass. She had the same symptoms too. Luckily my vet back then was an ER vet too. She had red marks on her vet chart the rest of her life. :laugh: They would ask me every time about if she ate any stuffed animals. It definitely was an eye opener.

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
She is currently laying at my feet, as I am typing I hear a ripping then crunch. Look down, pull her bandage from her leg IV out of her mouth! This is nuts!
Time for the "cone of shame" until she's recovered from her surgery. ;)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Time for the "cone of shame" until she's recovered from her surgery. ;)
She may need the cone for the remainder of her life!

·
Registered
6,138 Posts
I recommend this soft elizabethan collar very highly -- they're hard to find now, but worth ordering since they last forever (one of mine is over 5 years old, and I keep it in the closet ready for the next "incident" with some dog...I use them a lot when I have a foster with spay surgery stitches). They are much more comfortable than the plastic cones from the vet, since it's basically just a big pillow:
https://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Jorgansen-Laboratories-Soft-E-Collar_p_3456.html

(My large male wears an extra large; my 45# little one wears a medium. If you aren't sure on sizing call them --they're pretty helpful over the phone.)

·
Registered
538 Posts
We had a Sheltie years ago that stole socks … like in your case we would usually catch him before he could do anything. One time though apparently we didn’t see in time and he did eat the sock. He was a bit off and we took him to the vet and was given medicine to help with the vomiting. A few days later we went away over Christmas and were boarding him at the vet. While we were away he brought the sock up on his own … fortunately no surgery needed.

The funny thing was later that year I was in a Grade 12 Co-Op in high school and a girl in my class wanted to be a vet and worked at the same vets office where we had boarded our dog. She was telling us a story about a dog that brought up a sock over the Christmas holidays … needless to say it was pretty funny when I told her that was our dog!

Our GSD Jake loves to steal socks, but it’s all a game for him …. He’s never eaten one. He just runs away with it and if you don’t chase him or turn it into a game then he leaves it alone.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
my girl is all mischeif also. She steals socks etc, but the goal is to get me to chase her, she leaves it alone once she gets outside with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts