German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently live in SE Michigan and have been considering relocating to Texas (Austin or Dallas areas). Anyone from there have any insights to share? How hard is the heat on the dogs? I have one GSD and one Shetland Sheepdog, both very heavily coated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I'm a transplannt in the Dallas area. Being from MI you will probably love the winters here and perhaps the summers not so much...unless you like it hot. Ususally the real heat doesn't hit until July, Aug, Sept, though there have been years that June has been bad. Then there's the occasional warmer than normal streaks...ie we will be around 90 later this week but then go back to the 80's.

Austin is about 3 hours south of the Dallas metroplex so it's probably a few degrees warmer there. Austin is also much prettier...they have about 70 miles of hills with several lakes contained within (the 'hill's being I don't know maybe small mountains?) Someone from Austin can tell you much more than I.

GSD's handle the heat better than alot of breeds. I certainly don't leave mine out in 100 degree heat but they can tolerate it. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
You just keep them inside during the day and get your exercise in the mornings and evenings. They get tired a lot faster during the summers but can tolerate it. Nobody really goes out much in the middle of the day during July and August.

I have heard that, as long as they stay inside most of the time, the double coat actually helps keep the cool trapped near their skin and helps keep the heat out.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
It is disgustingly hot here in the summer, be prepared to pay over $500 in electric bill during the hot months. My worst was almost $900 last year, but we had ac problem.

I hate the Austin traffic, every single time we drove through Austin, we get stuck in traffic. It is pretty though. House prices are comparable I think, job wise- I think DFW has more to offer.

Zeus was always inside the house, then after 5 pm, we're all in the pool. Oh yeah, if you can- get a house with a pool. There are days when it's still in the high 90's (+ humidity) at 10 pm! Zeus loved to swim, great exercise when we can't go out for walks.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I'm also a transplant to TX- from CT. Stosh is long-coated and he does fine as long as he can get wet! He gets in the lake or in the kiddie pool then comes into the a/c. Our last gsd spent a lot of her time outside, she'd dig holes in the dirt in shady spots. Dallas does get a lot cooler than Austin- even snow and ice. Austin has great food, music, entertainment, it's a college town, lots to do outside too. Dallas has tons of shopping!! And it's close to Ft Worth which is a cool little town. You'll have to visit both and decide

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
It is disgustingly hot here in the summer, be prepared to pay over $500 in electric bill during the hot months. My worst was almost $900 last year, but we had ac problem.
WOW! How big is your house? I'm less than an hour away from you and have never spent more than $350! We have an 1800sq foot house.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
My highest is typically in Aug each year and the highest has been $600 (2700 sq) but I have a 2 story and two ac units if that makes a difference. On the flip side your heating bills in the winter will be dirt cheap! :)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I live in Lewisville a sub of Dallas. (15 mins north of the DFW airport) I have a 4 bedroom 2 bath 1,900 sqft home my highest bill was $375 last year. While growning up in Flower Mound my family owned Shetland Sheepdogs. They did well! We shaved there bellys to help keep them cool. They were inside dogs.... :D I love Texas and I planning on moving back to Flower Mound very soon to raise my family there. My vote is for Dallas!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have lived in Texas my whole life, so I need to add the caveat that I am extremely bias. Having said that, you are holding a winning lotto ticket because Texas is the best state in the union.

Austin - Cool, cool city. Best live music scene in the country IMO. You are also within a days driving distance to many hill country destinations which are some of the prettiest spots in all the land. Traffic on I-35/290 blows but its nothing detrimental. Cost of living isnt too bad either. Added bonus is you can see our state flag flying at the same level as the US flag, because we do what the **** we want. We JOINED the United States after they begged us.

Dallas/Metroplex - Well, its technically Texas, too close to Oklahoma for my liking but you get to have Texas plates. Lots to do, gets really hot and really humid. Traffic is the worst in the state and there is an elitist attitude that runs rampant. As many OU fans as there are UT or A&M fans and that says it all right there.

Now, I live in Houston. Houston isnt the prettiest place in the world, its main purpose is to give people jobs and make money. However, the food scene is the best kept secret this side of New York. Its an exciting time to live here. Lots of cool museums and a plenty of room. It does get humid and hot but you hardly ever have to wear a jacket.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Lonestar, as a fellow native Texan, I have to disagree with you on Dallas traffic vs. Austin traffic. I'm an Austinite at heart and love Austin as much as anybody, but it grew too fast for its infrastructure. I've lived in Austin and now live in Dallas-- Dallas traffic is bad, but Austin traffic is worse. Dallas seems worse because it's so much bigger, but Dallas is a big city with a big city infrastructure; Austin is a big city with a mid-sized city infrastructure.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I can't speak personally but I've always heard Houston has some of the worst traffic in the country. I agree with Emoore, Dallas has it's traffic but I believe it's not as congested as Austin.

Lonestar I'm one of the Sooners in Big D! ;) You are correct there are alot of sooners and aggies here. I work with several aggies and longhorns we have alot of fun during football season (it's all good fun...we are not the mean spirited fans that every team seems to have) :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have to say that I have a personal bias towards the metroplex, haha.

Houston has its share of bad traffic but I live inside the loop and know what areas to avoid.

I-45 and 290 are horrible. Other than that its not too bad. Cypress and The Woodlands folks have th worst commutes.

Given my choice, I would live in Austin though, hands down. And that's coming from an Aggie.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Given my choice, I would live in Austin though, hands down. And that's coming from an Aggie.
We live south of Houston in League City, and it is really a nice area since almost anything you could want is here, and if it's not, we can always drive to Houston. But I would move to Austin in a heartbeat!!! My kids live there and I love to go visit. The best, most beautiful place on earth. And in Austin, dogs are cool. It is very dog friendly. My daughter says it's cooler there to have a dog than a kid.... :)

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Me too. If I can live anywhere in Texas, it would be Austin. Well, I would live in the hill country near Austin.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I live 50 miles south of Fort Worth. I'm a Texas native so I'm biased but I think it's the best place to live! I wouldn't for the life of me live in or around Ft Worth or Dallas. The small towns are the best. Also my trainer is close by and she's the best!

Summers can be brutal, and winters don't last very long, thank goodness. I hate winter. Dogs get out a bit in the summer at dusk but stay in in the heat of the day.

We have an 1800 sqft house and it cost us under 300 to a/c it.

Hope you find a beautiful place to live here!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'd spend a long weekend in both places. I don't think you can go wrong either way- Austin or DFW. Austin is by far the most beautiful place in Texas. If I didn't have roots/tons of friends here in Dallas- I'd give Austin a go. Austin traffic is bad, so take that into consideration. I think you will find that overall- Texas is a very friendly state with lots to offer and a low cost of living.

I'm glad Houston isn't on your list ;) That's all I have to say about that!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would love to move to Marble Falls. It's beautiful down there! Lots of tree's! We don't have any trees up here it seems.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts