German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an eight week old pup. I want to tether her during the house breaking stage. How long should the tether be? Should I pull her when I walk away from her?

Falling in love with my "Brooklyn" Babe from Gatorland K9

Harley

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
6 food lead, tied to your belt.

Don't drag the pup. But I don't think that'll be a problem. She'll naturally want to follow you around. Use toys, treats, and your best high-pitched "oh what a good puppy!" voice to make yourself the center of her world.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
The tether would have to be just long enough to keep the pup by your leg. You should not "pull her" as you walk away but talk to her and let her know when you are moving. Keep it happy and positive.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Try using a command when you go to get up and move. That will help later on when starting leash work and heeling. When you go to get up, use a high pitched "happy" voice and say "Let's go" or whatever you want to use. It will help to warn the pup that the "team" is ready to move so she doesnt get yanked in the direction as you get up. Further down the road, when you start doing walks, using the "let's go" command will get them excited to follow you making the walk training go smoothly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts