German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a management issue. There are some great minds here, I hope I can get some input.
Now I hate tethers. I am looking for a way to make a safer tether I could use while we are training thru our issue. I don't have to do this, just looking at options.
I have a tree with a chain around it. I can hook a heavy duty carabiner then the long line.
Is there a way to use a sled dog bungee to reduce any shock if the dog were to bolt and hit the end of that line? Would a sled dog bungee work in this scenario? I would imagine some math of sorts for choosing a bungee. Should the dog be in a harness instead of a flat collar? Is this crazy and totally unsafe? I manage pretty darn well with just a long line averting most opportunities for the dog to take off. Just had something happen today freaked me out, I have to manage better.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Even a bungee only stretches so far before it comes to a hard stop. And the other thing is that if he's pulling against it, he's going to be building drive and frustration. If you're planning on tethering him for some control, make it very short and concentrate on the obedience of him holding the position himself, not restrained.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the bungee could act as a shock absorber.

I was concerned about the building of drive and frustration. Than I ask myself what the difference is if I am holding the leash? The leash can be jerked out of my hand and dog gets self rewarded. That is all I can think of.

The other option is to greatly reduce the dogs freedom (which he probably shouldn't have anyway).

I am done with the free long line for now.

Thank you Steve.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts