German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Duece, almost 6 months has started jumping on the couch and bed and a couple of times has put feet on counter when he wants attention. He knows he is not allowed on the bed and only on the couch when we say. When he jumps on furniture he ignores my "off" comand and when I go to physically make him get off he bites at me. When this happens I make my ah ah sound and then ignore him but so far not really working. He just started doing this a couple of weeks ago. We do obediance daily, he has plenty of exercise, and attention, he waits for commands to eat, walk out of room (almost always), front door so I work on leadership alot. I was wondering if maybe he is testing us? How should I handle the not obeying off command and biting at me? He has also a couple of times tried to take treats out of my hand when I first get them out of bag. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
He probably cannot differentiate the 'ok to get on the couch, not ok to get on the couch.' Either make it ok or not ok, Black and white - consistency.

Zero, absolutely zero tolerance of defiant biting.

Don't engage in a 'battle,' just take charge.

Take him firmly but calmly by the collar and make him comply.

Put your daily obedience into practical application. IE - paws on counter? Use his sit command. He cannot do both at one time and you avoid a conflict.

Pups will 'get the rules' you set if the rules are clear and you follow through each time.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
It sounds to me like this is all a big game to him and he enjoys the interaction. He's interpreting your removal as a fun time to wrestle and play.

I'd suggest telling him "OFF!" clearly and without a lot of other verbage and then - using the absolute minimum physical contact remove him from the couch. You want to make the interaction as unrewarding as possible.

Pause briefly and then distract him with a toy and engage him in a game that he is allowed to do with lots of praise and eye contact.

ETA - same thing with the being pushy with treats and other undesired behavior. I don't think he's making a bid for leadership, I think he's just a typical knucklehead boy puppy and thinks this is all a big hoot. My guess is that he's getting reinforced for the behavior because you (understandably) pay attention to him when he does it.

Making the silent treatment and ignoring him your best weapon because even scolding him is attention and he'll keep doing it. If he acts like a brat about the treats, pull the treats up high, fold your arms, stand up tall, and turn away from him. Don't look at him. He doesn't exist. He may jump on you and if he does, ignore it. As soon as he does something he's supposed to - sits etc, unfreeze yourself, make eye contact, big smile and give him a treat. If you're consistant and give him an alternate behavior he will quickly learn the right way to get your attention.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The fact that he knows that he isn't supposed to be on the bed, couch, or on the counter, and given the age makes me think that he is trying to test you for dominance. Big thing is to be consistent, either you let him on the furniture, or you don't. I think it is too much to ask for him to know the difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts