German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that most professional/good breeders get testing done on their breeding dogs.
I'm just curious to know what type of testing. I have plans on getting DM, CERF, and OFA hips/elbows done. But curious to other types of testing as well.
I want to make sure all testing is done on my breeding dogs so I can assure most health to the pups/buyers.
Pricing, info on the tests, how to get it done, etc is welcomed. I'm open to any and all knowledge.
I feel testing and making sure the dogs you are breeding are healthy and clear of diseases/genetic diseases is a must.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You could look into MDR1, cardiac, and dentition as well.

Pricing is going to be totally dependent on your location. Some of the tests like DM and MDR1 you can order from various labs online and do a cheek swab at home, those are pretty cheap. A word of caution, really research what vet you got to for hip and elbow Xrays. It's imperative you get good positioning. Make sure to ask around with other breeders in your area to seek out a vet known for good positioning for these xrays. Some of the shows offer health testing clinics as well for a lower fee than you would pay if you made an appointment at a vet. I have seen Cerf and cardiac testing offered this way. Check show premiums to see if there are any of these clinics near you. If you go to infodog.com, you can look up premium lists for shows in your area.

·
Registered
31,355 Posts
OFA and DM are the big ones for German Shepherds. Dentition is easy and only $15 to OFA.

Temperament testing and breed standard are just as important. How is the temperament and working ability being tested? Conformation? All the normal things people preach for any breed.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
OFA Hips/Elbows
DM
Dentition (this is more for proof my dogs had full dentition in the event of an accident)
Cardiac (Echo) I have gone back and forth on this and have decided that I will do cardiac testing on my animals when I have the money. Issues are starting to pop up in the breed, and an auscultation is useless

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
Remember before breeding to have both dogs tested for Brucellosis.
This should be a given, but many overlook it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all. A lot of these I had already considered, but double checking is always safe. I am excited (yet nervous) to get these tests done. Of course I need to do more research on the individuals, but I needed to know which to get done. Thanks again! Keep em coming if you think of more.
Again, I know some people like to post "tests" on here, that really don't have a good or confirming effect on the dogs. Please give ones that either you have given to your dogs, know of, or would be effective (or generalized) towards the breed! (This is for future commenters - every previous comment has given great health test reccomendations).

BTW, Jax08, I have seriously considered the temperament and confirmation tests, but need more research to find out how to go about getting them. Any knowledge of how to start prepping for the tests would be great!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I do have a question.... when considering dentition, do I download the file on OFA site and take it in to GET my dogs teeth examined?Or do the teeth need to be examined PRIOR to downloading the OFA application and giving to the dentist/vet to be filled in? Does it then need to be *mailed* into AKC with the fee? Or? And it need to be an oral exam in order to be qualified by OFA?
I'm new to some of this so forgive me (lol). The help is truly appreciated.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Test the dogs temperament and working ability by training them. See if they have what it takes before they are bred. Can they pass a BH get titled IPO1 2 or 3? There are tons of sports to choose from. SAR see what you like and have your dogs prove their worth before they get to pass on their genes.

·
Registered
31,355 Posts
BTW, Jax08, I have seriously considered the temperament and confirmation tests, but need more research to find out how to go about getting them. Any knowledge of how to start prepping for the tests would be great!
These are not "tests" as in you show up and take the test. You test your dog thru the training. You prove your dog thru the trial.

IPO/HGH - Join a club, train your dog, trial your dog.

Conformation - depending on the line, it could be an SV show or an AKC show. Train your dog, trial your dog.

AKC has many venues as well. Agility, herding, tracking, obedience. They don't test the dog to the standard that IPO does (obedience, tracking, protection) but you can still learn a lot about your dogs nerve and temperament by working them in these venues.

Think about it this way. If I'm looking for a dog for SAR, am I going to go to someone whose dogs have never done anything ? No. I'm going to go to a breeder whose dogs have proven hunt drive. That drive is genetic, it's either there or it's not. If I want to do agility or IPO, I'm going to a breeder whose dogs have been proven in these areas. Herding - again, I'm looking at dogs whose lines have successfully herded.

The basic health tests are a must. But that is the easy part! Every good breeder I've spoken to washed out their first dog. Once they were involved in sports and trialing, and learned more about proper temperaments and drives, they had a new idea of what was required for breeding.

·
Registered
31,355 Posts
I do have a question.... when considering dentition, do I download the file on OFA site and take it in to GET my dogs teeth examined?Or do the teeth need to be examined PRIOR to downloading the OFA application and giving to the dentist/vet to be filled in? Does it then need to be *mailed* into AKC with the fee? Or? And it need to be an oral exam in order to be qualified by OFA?
I'm new to some of this so forgive me (lol). The help is truly appreciated.
OFA has nothing to do with AKC. Two completely different organizations. The examination documents and fees go to OFA. It goes into their database, not AKC.

You can have a judge verify the teeth or you can have vet do it. A vet did my dogs dentition when he did the hip/elbow OFA.

Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

This is the results for the database for my dog

As you can see, this gives the results for sire/dam/siblings. You can look up a dog and get a view of the line history.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the info!

As for working ability test/confirmation, I knew they weren't actual tests (unless they are being evaluated at a show, for titlement, etc), my question was more for assurance; for example, "prepping them", as in could you link sites that lists specifics for requirements on what standards to KKL (is it breed standards?), or recieveing the BH.
I work my dogs in PPD, soon to be moving on to tracking. Then we're taking it to life scenarios (carjacking, public attack, public robbings, etc). I want to get BH and KKL, but need more info on how to go about them.
I'm not too worried about getting them ready for IPO titlements. I am focusing on more of their protection/reactment/impulse actions, etc. all while building their confidence, and I want to get some agility work done with them as well, but not trying to move too fast. I work WITH them, I don't work them.

As for the AKC statement, that was a total accident. It was about 2 am when I was typing it, and I guess my phone auto corrected OFA to AKC. I meant OFA. I know the difference between the two. It was a typing accident on my behalf!

·
Registered
31,355 Posts
*** CONFORMATION. Not confirmation. ;)

Google BH and KKL. You'll find all the info you need. These are all under German standards.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm not too worried about getting them ready for IPO titlements. I am focusing on more of their protection/reactment/impulse actions, etc. all while building their confidence
Sounds great Im glad you are actually training your dogs. If you want ppd and good impulse control you should look into PSA training and titling. Thats what I'm training my pup in and its tons of fun and its lots of control under pressure. More real life scenarios than IPO in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Thank you all for the info!

As for working ability test/confirmation, I knew they weren't actual tests (unless they are being evaluated at a show, for titlement, etc), my question was more for assurance; for example, "prepping them", as in could you link sites that lists specifics for requirements on what standards to KKL (is it breed standards?), or recieveing the BH.
I work my dogs in PPD, soon to be moving on to tracking. Then we're taking it to life scenarios (carjacking, public attack, public robbings, etc). I want to get BH and KKL, but need more info on how to go about them.
I'm not too worried about getting them ready for IPO titlements. I am focusing on more of their protection/reactment/impulse actions, etc. all while building their confidence, and I want to get some agility work done with them as well, but not trying to move too fast. I work WITH them, I don't work them.

As for the AKC statement, that was a total accident. It was about 2 am when I was typing it, and I guess my phone auto corrected OFA to AKC. I meant OFA. I know the difference between the two. It was a typing accident on my behalf!

Working your dogs in personal protection is awesome and one of my favorite pass times. I would still try and get out there and trial your dogs as well. You learn things on the trial field, both about your dogs as well as how well you thought your training was going. It's nice to get a third party view of your dogs and the trial nerves you AND your dog feel on the field can't be replicated. IMO, it's good for PPD's to get out there. After all, if something were to happen for real, I'm sure you wouldn't be calm and collected like you are in training. I like to know how my stress affects my dogs performance.

Edit: I'm not talking specifically about IPO either. There are some great protection sports out there. SDA and PSA to name a couple.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you guys. This is the reason I come on this site, so many experienced and helpful people! And love the fact that there's no negativity either! Again, Jax08, darn autocorrect! Lol! I apologize, I don't always look over what I type... sometimes I let autocorrect take over.

I plan on really getting out there with them. But for now, since they are still pups, I'm going to keep the PPD going. This is just the beginning for us, so we are really excited to enter the "hidden" world of working GSDs ;)
I am definately going to be attending events to get my dogs looked at from a higher perspective. I love challenges, and I love to see my dogs challenged (in the best way possible). Checking their strengths and weaknesses both helps ME and the dog. They are training me as much as I am training them.

The best part is that we learn new things everyday. I know in a few years from now I am going to get better, and will continue to get better as the work goes through. The best part is, I have great decoys/partners that have been doing it longer to help along the way.

I refuse to own/breed GSDs that aren't working dogs (unless they physically aren't able to work). I intend to produce and own, dual purpose working dogs -- how the breed was intended to be!

Thanks again for the answers everyone.

·
Premium Member
11,210 Posts
You cannot Koer (KKL) your dogs without first meeting other criteria.

IPO or HGH title - a BH is a prerequisite for the IPO titles

Hips- OFA or SV
Elbows - SV only

AD - endurance test

Show rating

Lee

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
Here is my Dominic's OFA page to show you an example. I didnt do DM on him due to lack of funds.

DM testing is controversial, but isn't really that expensive in the big picture. You can get it on sale through DDC for $35 every so often. Even full price it is fairly cheap compared to other repro tests. A semen analysis is costly as well as brucellosis because that one is usually sent out. DM test is probably the cheapest to do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts