German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Our Male GSD managed to mate with our female GSD however his testicles have not dropped and she gave birth to 8 beautiful puppies. Our Vet said we need to sterilise him as his testicles will become cancerous. Has anyone experienced males to get cancer from this condition? What should we do?

·
Registered
382 Posts
it is called Cryptorchidism. yes cancer is increased in dog that have this by 10 times as much as ones that do not.

·
Premium Member
11,283 Posts
yes - even if they work, the dog is at much higher risk for cancer....get him altered .....and as stated, this can be a genetic condition (or in an older sire, the result of sperm which are breaking down and flawed) so probably the male pups are at risk for it, and both sexes can carry it on to the next generation I believe.

Lee

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Okay, I learned something new today...I always thought (and maybe even read somewhere) that if the testicles were undescended, the heat from the dog's body would prevent them from producing sperm!

Oh, and of course, with an unplanned 'oops' litter you ALWAYS get at least 8 puppies... :rolleyes2:

Edit: checked out an article at U.C. Davis, and they say: The undescended testicle is not able to produce sperm and tends to be smaller than the scrotal testicle because of the higher temperature inside the body. If both testicles are cryptorchid, the dog is sterile.

So, this dog MUST have at least one testicle that's partially descended, which will make neutering him easier. It's likely through the inguinal ring, but just too high up to really notice.

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vmth/local_resources/pdfs/repro_pdfs/ceCryptorchidism2.pdf

Testicles that are retained inside the abdomen are also prone to testicular torsion, which is extremely painful, and requires emergency surgery. Cancer risk for retained testicles is about 13X higher than for normally descended ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts