German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what point do we give up and have CJ nutured? He is 5 months old now. My husband says to call **** Clark because he was always able to make the ball drop (LOL).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
Originally Posted By: CJ's MomMy husband says to call **** Clark because he was always able to make the ball drop (LOL).
No advise but ...... OMG!
Too funny!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,782 Posts
Personally, I would wait to have him neutered until he is close to 2yo. Not matter how many testicles are descended.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
there is no reason to rush it. even if it does not drop, you should wait til he is fully grown to neuter him. (1.5-2 yrs). The issue with the retained testicle becoming metastatic is something that happens when the dog is older (if he is not neutered).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason I asked was due to the increased rate of testicle cancer with an undestended testicle. I just wanted to make sure that waiting was the way to go and that this was not urgent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,782 Posts
I've never heard of a puppy/young dog getting testicluar cancer.

I have only heard of it older dogs. I have even had vets tell me that it is "generally" after 8yo. (Don't know if that is true or not but that is what I was told.)

No, it is NOT urgent to have him neutered young just because he only has 1 descended.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
I agree, there is no rush. Your boy deserves the benefits of the hormones for proper growth and development, both primary and secondary. It can still drop, too. Actually, if the undescended testicle bothers you, that one can be searched for by ultrasound to make sure it is not stuck in the abdominal cavity and at the most, that being the case, remove the one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,796 Posts
When Ringer's testicle didn't drop, his co-ower had me go to a lot of different vets here in Florida including a specialist. They all agreed that I could wait until he was between 18 to 24 months to have it removed without worrying about it becoming cancerous.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top