German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hypothetical question, curiosity only:

If a GSD were to be allowed freedom to roam without contact with other houses, dogs, or urbanization, about how large would his/her territory be? You know, when they talk about wild animals' territory and range... something like that.

I can't even figure out how to search such a thing; seems to be all practical advice on preventing your GSD from becoming too territorial.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Wolves have territories ranging from 30 sq. miles to 70 sq.miles to hundreds of sq.miles...
but it depends on the size of their pack and the amount of prey available.
A large pack where the prey is not numerous, will try to hold a very large area of land, because they need to.
They will drive away or kill intruders from other packs.

I don't know if anybody has studied the territories of dogs, who are fed by humans, don't live in packs, and don't need to hunt!

I think my dog regards our street as his territory and maybe our neighborhood because that's where his paws have covered the most. I think that if you regularly walk the same loop, that becomes regarded as their territory too. Hmm, hard to put a number to it!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I am just guessing (have no idea!) but if the dog lived with a person, was being fed by this one person/family----10 miles, 20 maybe, that he stayed within? I'd think he'd stay fairly close to his "den"/family/food!
Maybe there's info on how far dogs that do watch over sheep travel!

·
Super Moderator
6,287 Posts
This map / article is about a lone wolf but it may still be of interest to you (the non pack aspect of his travels): https://brilliantmaps.com/wolf-map/

Also, when we go backpacking, I let Keystone wander while I set up camp... the longest he ever leaves is about 15 minutes... however far that gets him. Or maybe he’s just figured out that’s how long it takes before dinner prep. After the initial scope, he generally has no interest to leave and I only tether him when we begin to lose light in the evening.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts