German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
34,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jax and Baron got into a fight last nite. Baron has about 15 staples. Some in his shoulder, in his leg and on his rear. He is terrified of the e-collar. I mean frozen and shaking terrified....any suggestions on how to keep him from tearing out the staples?

Tea Tree Oil Mixture - he licked that right off
T-Shirt - Will protect the shoulder but I dont' think he can reach that anyways.
E-Collar - Wanna see a dog panic?

· Registered
25,398 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about their scrap. Healing thoughts for Baron.

· Registered
3,363 Posts
First off - poor pups and poor you!
I hate dog fights - so traumatic for everyone involved.

I also kind of hate e-collars. I know they're often necessary but so many dogs freak out in them and even when they don't they're always banging into everything. I know this isn't much help because I can't remember the name but isn't there a sort of low profile collar that keeps the dog from bending their neck around but isn't as big and obstructive as the e-collar? I could swear I've seen pics of something like that.

Can you distract him with something else to occupy his mouth (like a frozen Kong or something)?

· Registered
12,476 Posts
Is the collar clear, or the white one that you can't see through? I found going up to petco/petsmart and gettting a clear one made all the difference.

They do have other types of collars, like the inflatable donuts, and the bitenot collars.

eta: forgot to say, sorry about the fight and the injuries...no fun for any of you

· Registered
34,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's clear. He is so neurotic. He just sat there and shook. So I walked with him and every time he hit something he came unglued.

i saw those inflatable collars. Petsmart should have them. Do they work? It has to block him from getting to his lower leg and rear hip.

· Registered
34,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm thinking it should stop him from being able to turn enough to get to his rear and should block him from getting to his leg to

...that is until Jax thinks he has one of her toys around his neck.

I don't have any idea what started it. Did not see any toys, bones in the area so I don't think it was resource guarding but she has been acting funky since I was in the hospital a couple weeks ago.

· Registered
73 Posts
Hi, my GSD had knee surgery this past year, and I used two of the large donut collars. One was inflated properly and the other about half inflated. He wore them both, with the upper one laced into his collar so it wouldn't come off.

Hope that helps. (Sorry about the fight.)

Molly

· Registered
515 Posts
We purchased the comfy cone for Siena (she always needs one for one reason or another). When she had her hematoma in August it was our first opportunity to use it and she HATED it. It totally blocked her peripheral vision and she could not see beyond her nose and it stressed her out, so we went back to the plastic (opaque/clear) one and she did much better with that. I like the idea of the comfy cone, but will probably never use it again.

I have a friend who used the donut type (on a whippet) and it wasn't right for her dog. Just gotta keep trying.

Sorry to hear about the fight... scary stuff. Poor guy.

· Registered
2 Posts
HI- sorry to hear about the battle. We are currently using the clear collar with success! Our vet had it. We first introduced it by putting our Max into our mud room with his favorite treats. He was treated constantly as he was introduced to it and we quickly walked slowly away to get him to follow us in his new collar ---with the treats. He's doing good because he is able to see through it we believe. I recommend this one- simply because it is clear (very big, but clear). AND we put it on him when he was tired so he fell asleep soon after with it on- a good thing for sure.

· Registered
6,564 Posts
Originally Posted By: Jax08
Originally Posted By: LisaThe's long enough that he could still reach his butt.
ohhhh...and he's a twisty turny dobie...I wonder if those BiteNot collars would work better and if I could find them in time to be useful.
After Too had major surgery I got her a BiteNot collar - worked great.

· Registered
7,792 Posts
For the front leg, you have a horse. Have any Bell boots, put it on above the wound so the dog can't get to it.

I get creative instead of using the e-collar, made my own bite not out of a kids MotoX back brace, some thin cardboard, horse leg wraps and Vet Wrap.

Sorry about the fight. I have dogs that can't be together and do the dog shuffle.

Val

· Registered
34,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yes we have really nice bell boots! I wonder where she put them! And if they are washed. I think we have some exercise boots around here that are to small for our horses too! Those would definitely work!

I also wonder if I can cut the e-collar I have so it's not hanging in his face as much.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.