German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a long time since I posted, but since California is on shelter at home orders I finally have some time.

My pups are turning 2 in a few weeks!!

I never had dogs that were this young before, so sometimes I am unsure what behaviors are normal and which aren't.

Odin is very high drive and high energy dude. Most days if we aren't playing with his ball or engaging him some other way, he will just start to be annoying and do things on purpose. Like trying to play fight with Layla, who usually puts him in check. Or he will just start inserting himself in anything we are doing.

I understand he is a puppy, but the thing I noticed is that once I notice he isn't listening to me to lay down or chill out, if I crate him he INSTANTLY falls asleep.

I guess my question is: Is it normal for young dogs to fight their sleep?

Layla (his littermate) is the opposite. She is not high energy or high drive. If it doesn't truly interest her she does not care. She will play but she stops usually after like 15 minutes and goes to take a nap or goes to cuddle.

Its weird seeing Odin do this, as he has off and on for a while, and I wonder if anyone else has gone through this.. I do notice his eyes sometimes get a little glassy and he looks like a sleepy toddler fighting his sleep.

Its usually in the afternoon time when this happens. By the time the day progresses and he has at least an hour nap inside his crate he is fine. But I always have to crate him for an afternoon nap it seems like. Other wise he turns into a little booger with an attitude problem. I'll tell him chill out and lay down and he will throw himself on the ground and stick his butt in the air and give me a little bark. LOL

They do still sleep the majority of the time in the crate overnight. About 4-5 day out the week, the other times they sleep in our room. And they are always crated when we are gone.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
the behavior you describe sounds more typical of very young puppies. because of that, my last few dogs were introduced to settling via crate (or tether, tie down, ‘place’) from the beginning. i also don’t allow crazy play or rough housing in the house which supports my efforts. it’s essentially training (conditioning) an off switch if your dog doesn’t have one naturally... as it seems your girl may have. boys also tend to mature slower.

for dogs that live in homes with multiple people and dogs, i find it of greater importance to emphasis down time... to avoid the need for constant attention / stimulation.. that they can get by rotating through playmates and family members.

my current boy is clever tho, i always know when he’s hungry or bored because instead of settling on his bed or in another room - he’ll do it ON or in front of me.... he especially loves to very calmly lay on top of my phone or book (basically anything in my hand that occupies my attention).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the behavior you describe sounds more typical of very young puppies. because of that, my last few dogs were introduced to settling via crate (or tether, tie down, ‘place’) from the beginning. i also don’t allow crazy play or rough housing in the house which supports my efforts. it’s essentially training (conditioning) an off switch if your dog doesn’t have one naturally... as it seems your girl may have. boys also tend to mature slower.

for dogs that live in homes with multiple people and dogs, i find it of greater importance to emphasis down time... to avoid the need for constant attention / stimulation.. that they can get by rotating through playmates and family members.

my current boy is clever tho, i always know when he’s hungry or board because instead of settling on his bed or in another room - he’ll do it ON or in front of me.... he especially loves to very calmly lay on top of my phone or book (basically anything in my hand that occupies my attention).
Your boy sounds just like what my Odin does when he doesnt want to have down time!

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Your boy sounds just like what my Odin does when he doesnt want to have down time!
ha, well good luck! Keystone is 7! 🙊
in his defense however, he’s usually pretty spot on - meaning i’m legitimately an hour or two late in feeding him or neglecting him because i’m sick or something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts