German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard and read that tennis balls are not good to use with dogs, because the glue in them can hurt the enamel in dogs' teeth... MY question is that for how long does the dog have to be chewing on the ball to be "in danger" of having its teeth get hurt?
If I am just playing fetch with my dog with a tennis ball, is there a danger that its teeth are gonna be hurt?
Also, are all types of rubber balls a lot better than tennis balls?

I would think that some rubber balls are not good either, I guess depending on the rubber used...

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Who knows!

I have heard the same thing you have. I have also heard that that is an "old wives tale". And that it isn't the glue, but all of the "gunk" that sticks to the tennis ball "fuzz", that wears on their teeth. Which you would think wouldn't be an "issue" if you were playing in the grass or water since in cases like that, there isn't a bunch of dirt or sand to stick to the ball.
My Heeler is almost 9yo and is a "tennis ballaholic". He teeth are NOT worn AT ALL.

Seems like there was a thread no too long ago about dogs being like people in that some have weaker tooth enamel(sp) and their teeth wear down at a young age no matter what they do or don't play with/chew on. Where as some dogs that are 10+ years old have teeth like a 2yo, again no matter what they have chewed on their whole lives.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
As far as rubber balls goes. I have no idea.
I like the Kong solid rubber balls because they are too big to fit under the couch.
But ONLY if the dog won't be trying to catch them. They are VERY hard and it seems like they could be hard on the teeth if the dog was playing "fetch" and catching them in the air.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Makes sense, I bet some dogs have weaker teeth and some have stronger ones... I just know some people warn about tennis balls but my Brandie is also a tennisball-holic.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Tennis balls are fine as long as they don't start to take the felt off then that can be a problem.
I found Brady these rubber balls call indestructable ball come with chuck it let me tell you he has destroyed one yet. I got them at petsmart. Tennis ball he rips apart in 2 seconds

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dawn,
I just bought the chuck-it balls today, they did not have the chuck-it thing, but I will get that later... hopefully these are pretty sturdy!!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
If you have a Miejers store near you, they sell a package of 2 tennis balls for just over $2 in the pet toy section. They are made in the USA especially for dogs and have a different type of coating than regular tennis balls - less abrasive.

Some cans of Penn tennis balls are also made in the USA. If you give tennis balls to your dog, please do not use the ones made in china. I would be concerned with both the glue and the coloring used.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Originally Posted By: Skye'sMomIf you give tennis balls to your dog, please do not use the ones made in china. I would be concerned with both the glue and the coloring used.
Good point.

Sean loves tennis balls and we only play fetch with them in the yard where he is supervised so if the coloring fades or the ball starts looking shabby we trash it immediately.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
the chuck-it rubber type balls are awesome. they clean easily, are the same size as a tennis ball, and Kelso can't destroy them. We have had them for awhile and he can make quick work of a lot of things, but these balls keep going!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Originally Posted By: SuperpupI have heard and read that tennis balls are not good to use with dogs, because the glue in them can hurt the enamel in dogs' teeth... MY question is that for how long does the dog have to be chewing on the ball to be "in danger" of having its teeth get hurt?
If I am just playing fetch with my dog with a tennis ball, is there a danger that its teeth are gonna be hurt?
Also, are all types of rubber balls a lot better than tennis balls?

I would think that some rubber balls are not good either, I guess depending on the rubber used...
I don't know about glue but my vet told me that there is a sandpaper type substance under the green material that wears the dogs teeth down.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steph.. I just bought the chuck-it balls yesterday and Brandie LOVES them.. LOL!!! I had thrown some old tennis balls out in the garbage last night and she was sniffing by the trash can for them..LOL!!!

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts
I know someone whose dog's teeth have had to be bonded because of tennis balls......I use Orbee/Planet Dog balls/kongs - dogs love them....they won't even look at a tennis ball now! Basha loves to carry the bigger grapefruit sized Orbee (earth style or new style 'luna' luminsecent [sp??] one) around in her mouth all the time....

Lee

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
I use street hockey balls or lacrosse balls - Ozzy is a ball nut! If we're just relaxing in the evening in the yard the jollyball is his best friend. (It's not allowed in the house!)
The chuck-it has become our new best friend

I've used a kong ball - we lost it and giggle balls, but they don't stand up to Ozzy's jaws, especially if he's obsessing about a toy - I take them away, but sometimes I'm just not fast enough.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Originally Posted By: SuperpupSteph.. I just bought the chuck-it balls yesterday and Brandie LOVES them.. LOL!!! I had thrown some old tennis balls out in the garbage last night and she was sniffing by the trash can for them..LOL!!!

Good!!! glad to hear it! They have become so loved around here that I can use them to train..I know I should use a tug more, but Kelso (and Allie) are pretty obsessed with them. I put the balls up when we are done ( I worry about the size so I dont really want them to have them alone) also it has made it the "special toy" they love.

Whatever they will work for, I use!!

Have Fun

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I've also read that tennis balls are bad. But what about the ones made specifically for dogs?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a friend who has a 5 yr old Mal. A while back I was talking to her and petting the Mal and noticed her canines, upper and lower, were quite short and rounded. I asked her owner if they had filed down the teeth because of "safety" reasons(i know they do this to "pet" monkeys, and other wild "pet" animals). She said no, that this was the result of chewing/playing with tennis balls!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
This thread is scaring me.

My other dog loves tennis balls, they are his favorite toy. I even bought him a tennis-ball with a fuzzy tail attached to it from the pet store as his birthday present.
Please tell me that he can keep playing with it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts