German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any truth when people say that long haired shepherds have better temperaments than short haired shepherds, training aside?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I don't think that is a fact lol. My first was longhaired, and he had to be taken out of police training because he did not want to release on command. My second and the one I have now both had/have short/plush coats. And about the same temperament (just less drive).

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Out of 3 gsds I've owned, my long coated I have now has the best temperament, so in my experience, yes. But I've never heard that before so I'm thinking it's just the dog

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I've only had a GSD/Husky mix and a PB long coat GSD. I don't know for sure if there is a difference, but Scarlett is a much cuddlier, snugglier, attached to her peeps dog than our previous dog. Can't say if it's the coat length or not...I suspect not. She's just a different dog.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Depends on what you are looking for and consider good temperament. I have had only one long coated GSD. She was beautiful, large, and heavy boned but way too mild and low energy for me. I would be hesitant to own another. Rumor has it she is typical of long coats. I don't know.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Hmmm. IMHO I don't see how that would make a difference. It seems more likely that the dog that carried the LH gene just happened to have a particular temperament. I have a LH and while he is not crazy he has plenty of drive. I would most definitely not call him lazy. He has an excellent temperament, and certainly can go go go if I want him to. Last night was his first time at a county park for my son's baseball game and while he was very well- behaved, the plethora of balls being hit (baseballs, tennis, soccer, and basketballs) just about drove him to distraction. He did end up catching a foul ball for my son's team, LOL

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I have also heard that LCs are known for heavier bone. I don't know, but it would be interesting to know if there is something to it.

To go off topic, I have also read where high tail sets and reverse masks were linked to aggression.

I don't know.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Absolutely!!!! 100% better temperament and better bone :D I have an LC too that I adore. ;)

I've been told these same things loads of times but I have no reason to believe that is so. His half-brother lives with me as well and he is a stock coat and is just as pleasant to be around. Less bone though but he's enormous so that is hard to compare. I have a friend with two GSDs that I spend a LOT of time with, one workingline and one showline and they are pleasant as well. Hm, I think they have less bone too - Lies? Thoughts?

I've also been told the better head shape comes with the LC's but I am not real fond of Kastle's profile at this age, hoping it heavy's up some.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
When you speak of "heavy bone" are you referring to their weight or the actual thickness/density of their bone structure? Scarlett is definitely tall (27") and LONG backed with HUGE feet. She weighs 76 lbs now, but is certainly not fat. Her bone structure doesn't seem heavy to us, but what do I know? Seriously, we do know she is really big for a female shepherd, but not in the same class as the really heavy males. She's kind of big, but dainty. :)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Heavy bone, as a female with the heavy bone structure of a male, not height or weight, per se. I guess weight could be more because the bones are bigger.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
When you speak of "heavy bone" are you referring to their weight or the actual thickness/density of their bone structure? Scarlett is definitely tall (27") and LONG backed with HUGE feet. She weighs 76 lbs now, but is certainly not fat. Her bone structure doesn't seem heavy to us, but what do I know? Seriously, we do know she is really big for a female shepherd, but not in the same class as the really heavy males. She's kind of big, but dainty. :)
Heavy bone is more referring to the...appearance of size on a dog. For example, I posted Kastle photos and got a lot of people guessing him in 70-80 lb range, he weighs 57.4 lbs. He has big bone and in photos, he looks really stocky, blocky with thick legs etc.

Found a picture, Kas has heavier bone than Pan. Look at the legs. Pan outweighs Kastle by 20 lbs.

ETA: You can click the photos to see them larger too.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Thanks...that makes sense...so my answer would be "not really" when asked if Scarlett is heavy boned. She is tall, lanky and has huge feet, but she is not built like a male...This is the only picture I could find of her sitting where you can see her sitting. The second picture is at the Bark at the Park with other GSD's from VGSR (October 2011).

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Depends on what you are looking for and consider good temperament. I have had only one long coated GSD. She was beautiful, large, and heavy boned but way too mild and low energy for me. I would be hesitant to own another. Rumor has it she is typical of long coats. I don't know.
I've been told the same about Aero. Overall, he's a happy-go-lucky dog, but he does love to work. But I also don't know any German Shepherds that run to our usual mail carrier and then fall on their back for a tummy rub.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks...that makes sense...so my answer would be "not really" when asked if Scarlett is heavy boned. She is tall, lanky and has huge feet, but she is not built like a male...This is the only picture I could find of her sitting where you can see her sitting. The second picture is at the Bark at the Park with other GSD's from VGSR (October 2011).
Scarlett is a gorgeous dog. I also see the girl on the left has a shirt bearing my boy's name. I bet he'll feel special when I tell him. ;-)

Here are some pics of Aero - his paws are half the size of my hand (and I have big hands; I'm 6'4"). Now guess how much he weighs...

Attachments

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
They come out of the same litters so no difference as a group. Individual dogs will be different, of course. Doubt very much if coat length and temperament are inherited on the same gene set!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Scarlett is a gorgeous dog. I also see the girl on the left has a shirt bearing my boy's name. I bet he'll feel special when I tell him. ;-)

Here are some pics of Aero - his paws are half the size of my hand (and I have big hands; I'm 6'4"). Now guess how much he weighs...
I would guess 75 lbs? He's quite the handsome boy! ;)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I am trying to find pics of my LC. She had much longer and thicker fur than what I see in the pics posted here.

Scarlett would look like a wooly mammoth if I didn't taper in her sides and the fringe on her legs. She gets so matted and collects so much debris that I just opt to keep her dangly hair trimmed. Still, I don't think she has as long of a coat as some LC's. Her tail is pretty spectacular though. :)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
first you have to establish what's better? i've heard blk&tans
are easier than blk&silver. this stuff is part of the wives tale
theorem of dogdom.

Is there any truth when people say that long haired shepherds have better temperaments than short haired shepherds, training aside?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts