German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Behavior question for experienced GSD owners

My wife and I took Jameson (16 weeks) out for a walk yesterday, we are trying acclimate him with being around people & noises, we were walking thru a local village with a lot of hustle and bustle.

There were two very loud sirens which passed us, a bunch of strangers (of all sizes) coming up to pet him, numerous encounters with other dogs and we were approached by one shady character who was looking for a few dollars.

The only reaction to the siren was his ear became attentive. He was licking every stranger who would let him.

Even when we are home and he sits at the front door, he has minimal reaction to passerbys. The only time he barks is at obedience school.

I have to admit I am very happy, he shows ZERO aggression toward my other dog (Shepard Mix)

Is this normal behavior for a 16 week old GSD pup? or is he just a subdued pup ?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I would say this is exactly what you want. Enjoy him and keep up the good job:) You don't want a dog that barks at everything, you want alert and confident.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sounds like a confident pup. He doesn't see every strange object as a threat...which is good...because they aren't. I have a male who was like this....very rarely does he bark...when he does it's because there is a threat. Normally this bark is at night when a car pulls up in front of the house and he's in the bedroom. He 'll give a low growl and woof. I can take him out anywhere and he's perfectly fine. Keep up the great work work with your pup! Sounds like you both are off to a great start : ))))

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I would still be cautious as to how you expose him. Puppies can go through some odd stages, and as he may be fine now, he may not be in a month or whatever.
I personally try NOT to put my pups in situations where I don't have total control(dogs coming up randomly or some people that may approach with sketchy body language or odd behavior). I stay on the fringe if possible.
I took my 6 month old pup to a car show, and a dog(doodle) rushed him coming out from under a picnic table. My pup handled it ok, didn't react, but had he, I think it would have ramped the doodle up to connect. The idiot owner began yelling at her dog and that did ramp up the dog. I slowly backed away as that dog kept circling, and tried to calm the situation. You never know what may happen when you are out and about with so much stimulation going on all around....stay proactive!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would still be cautious as to how you expose him. Puppies can go through some odd stages, and as he may be fine now, he may not be in a month or whatever.
I personally try NOT to put my pups in situations where I don't have total control(dogs coming up randomly or some people that may approach with sketchy body language or odd behavior). I stay on the fringe if possible.
I took my 6 month old pup to a car show, and a dog(doodle) rushed him coming out from under a picnic table. My pup handled it ok, didn't react, but had he, I think it would have ramped the doodle up to connect. The idiot owner began yelling at her dog and that did ramp up the dog. I slowly backed away as that dog kept circling, and tried to calm the situation. You never know what may happen when you are out and about with so much stimulation going on all around....stay proactive!
I always thought the best way to socialize a dog was to get them out and about amongst the masses.

I still don't understand how people think its ok to have a dog unleashed outside the confines of a yard. I can understand in a rural area, but I live in a suburb of NYC, and IMO no dog should be unleashed in public areas.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I remember when our GSD pup was about 16 weeks and we, and everyone else who met him, couldn't believe how sweet and laid back and attentive he was.
He was very aloof, didn't shy away from dogs or people but didn't want to socialize, he'd just sit there and observe other dogs at play. Once he got bowled over by a couple of dogs and he sat back up and continued to take it all in.

The vet warned us that it would happen...he said GSD pups are very high spirited and told us not to let out guard down. Our vet has owned GSDs his whole life.

The closer he got to 5 months old, the bolder he became...still aloof but much more curious. Then he showed his full puppines. WOW!! were we ever duped.

He's 15 months now and in his adolescence. Great temperament, and he's nice to take on walks, still not interested in the social scene, but very high spirited and needs TONS of exercise.
Yup! Don't let your guard down. LOL!!

Either way, you will get a lot of enjoyment watching your pup grow up. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Nevermind then hes usually the only guy who likes to break up temperament and disposition as two separate things most people lump it together. He is a well known dog trainer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's good to keep in mind that dogs will often go through a second fear stage at around 6 months. A young puppy may seem confident only to become fearful later. That said, Jameson seems to have a very strong head start.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts