German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Long Hair German Shepherd Rottweiler mix
She’s 4.5 Months old and at 11.5kgs (25.4 Pounds)
She has an isolated house outside and a warm blanket inside her house with a warm bottle under it.
It’s currently 4 degrees C (39F)
Do you think that this temperature is okay for her to sleep in the house outside or is it too cold?

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Companion dog

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,949 Posts
The house is only good for keeping out the wind and water, but it is going to be exactly the same temperature in the house as outside the house.The body heat she generates will keep her warm if the house is stuffed with straw so she is totally covered with only an inch or two of air space around her.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The house is only good for keeping out the wind and water, but it is going to be exactly the same temperature in the house as outside the house.The body heat she generates will keep her warm if the house is stuffed with straw so she is totally covered with only an inch or two of air space around her.
Is it better if i put a smaller box inside the house for her to sleep in?

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Can she survive in that temp? Yes.
Would she be better inside the house? Yes.

The "warm bottle" will be cold in an hour and she has more of the Rottie coat than GSD. She's be very cold outside

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The "warm bottle" will be cold in an hour and she has more of the Rottie coat than GSD. She's be very cold outside
I’m changing the bottle every 2 hours, the bottle is put under her blanket to keep it all warm. She has been outside since she was 2.5 months old and she never got sick, I’m just asking to make sure that she’s not feeling too cold 🥶

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I’d love to keep her indoors but it goes against my religion...

·
Super Moderator
7,949 Posts
Folks lets be sensitive to different cultures.The dog is going to remain housed outside.The OP is wanting suggestions on keeping his pup as comfortable as possible outdoors.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I grew up with outdoor dogs. My parents like to talk about the time they felt sorry for their dog, as it was -40C. The dog came inside and, at about 2 am, woke my mother up, pacing. She was too hot! So Mom opened the door, and the dog ran across the yard to her nice insulated kennel. Mom didn't even bother to go out and shut the gate. She was a LGD so had long hair.

We had shorter coated dogs as well. They were fine, even as puppies to live outdoors, though there were two of them. We got them in mid November and they lived outside from mid December onwards (-25C ish at the coldest, age 4 months or so). Before that they lived in an unheated addition to the house (10C or so) . We gave them a dog house inside an open shed that blocked the wind, filled the dog house with straw, and had old carpet tacked on to the inside of the walls, floors, and ceilings of the dog house, and strips of carpet hanging in the door. They were fine, and used to the temperature. There were two of them to share warmth.

Would I preferentially keep a dog outside? No. My dog is a couch dog. Do people do it, even in cold climates? Yes, all the time. With some straw or other fluffy insulation and a warm dog house, your pup should be more than fine in 4C.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I grew up with outdoor dogs. My parents like to talk about the time they felt sorry for their dog, as it was -40C. The dog came inside and, at about 2 am, woke my mother up, pacing. She was too hot! So Mom opened the door, and the dog ran across the yard to her nice insulated kennel. Mom didn't even bother to go out and shut the gate. She was a LGD so had long hair.

We had shorter coated dogs as well. They were fine, even as puppies to live outdoors, though there were two of them. We got them in mid November and they lived outside from mid December onwards (-25C ish at the coldest, age 4 months or so). Before that they lived in an unheated addition to the house (10C or so) . We gave them a dog house inside an open shed that blocked the wind, filled the dog house with straw, and had old carpet tacked on to the inside of the walls, floors, and ceilings of the dog house, and strips of carpet hanging in the door. They were fine, and used to the temperature. There were two of them to share warmth.

Would I preferentially keep a dog outside? No. My dog is a couch dog. Do people do it, even in cold climates? Yes, all the time. With some straw or other fluffy insulation and a warm dog house, your pup should be more than fine in 4C.
Thank you for your great suggestions, i will cover the walls with carpet, the ceiling is already covered with leather.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I'd make her house more like your house = that means insulation and a plastic house wrap, perhaps some sort of flap for a door. I kept a cat warm (she screamed at being inside) in a box wrapped with plastic, inside a larger box wrapped with plastic with plastic packing bubbles between the two boxes. By making the "doors" offset from each other it was a bit open to the elements but she was warm in there. I placed it against the house so she got some warmth from the house and was out of the wind and under the porch out of the the rain. Not ideal but at least she wasn't screaming at the door.

·
Super Moderator
6,305 Posts
People that make little feral cat shelters always say to use straw inside, instead of blankets.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Carpet could be a good environment for fleas, with straw you can change it to keep it fresh.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Carpet could be a good environment for fleas, with straw you can change it to keep it fresh.
We always had both - carpet on the sides, straw to fill in the gaps. Fresh straw added evey month or so as it compressed or got pulled out during the winter, and fully cleaned out in the spring. No issues with fleas (dogs were on flea meds). Kept the straw bale on top of the kennel so it was easy to refill.

One big issue is avoiding mould. You want the kennel to be vapor permeable or have ventilation (not fully sealed plastic) so condensation from the dog's breath or moisture from a wet dog running in and out doesn't get trapped and has a chance to dry out. We had a neighbour who decided to use an old chest freezer as a dog house and it ended up full of mould.

Our dogs always came out toasty warm and smelling clean like fresh straw and warm dog. I kind of miss the smell, honestly. Or maybe I just miss the dogs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts