German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have let your females go through at least one heat, I have a question.

Did you see any dramatic change in temperament from going through heat cycles? I don't mean temporary change during the heat. I mean, do you feel your dog actually permanently changed in some way after a heat?

I ask because someone told me that their dog's first heat affected her and she seemed less confident and more "nervy" after going through a heat cycle. I wondered if this is common at all.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Nope if anything Zoe got a little too confident after her first heat. Did something else happen possibly? Could the dog have been abused when they weren't around by a family member, child, or guest? Spooked by something else? Zoe is my first female dog so I'm not by any means an expert but I've never heard of this before.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I've always had our females spayed before their first heat and noticed no difference whatsoever.
Our lab was adopted and we had her spayed when she was 3. She became noticeably more "masculine" than she was before, she started barking, guarding, becoming more territorial, etc. None of it ever became a problem but you could tell she wasn't as ladylike as she was before.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The owner didn't seem to think there was any other event to cause the change. Of course she could have missed something.

Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts