German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With the popularity of another dog park thread right now and the long standing controversy over dog parks, I thought this thread could be interesting and perhaps useful in understanding where certain peoples views and opinions stem.

I think we can all agree that no dog park is the same - they vary greatly in size, population and culture.... from the 300sq ft yard at a truck stop to parks in the middle of nyc to sprawling hillsides and forests, in, I don’t know... Norway! You get the idea...

So whether you are for or against dog parks (no need to specify), let’s give other members a “look“ at dog parks in your part of the world. The purpose of this thread is not for feuds or space for debate... nor for any breed bashing or the like. Enjoy!

Name:
City, State:
Frequency of visits:
Size:
Fenced / Unfenced:
Hours:
Rules and Regulations:
Segregated populations (size, age, temp):
Features/amenities:
Children allowed:
Park culture:
Wish list:
Photos/videos/links:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Name: Point Isabel Regional Shoreline
City, State: Richmond, CA
Frequency of visits: 1-2x a year (more frequent with past dogs)
Size: 23 acres + additional 20 acres of undeveloped open space adjoined via pedestrian bridge.
Fenced / Unfenced: Unfenced
Hours: 5am to 10pm
Rules and Regulations: Standard - voice control, carry leash, pick up poop, no aggressive dogs... although no food/drinks or toys isn’t specified, most visitors practice this with the exception of balls. 3 dog limit w/o permit.
Segregated populations (size, age, temp): None
Features/amenities: Swimming, restrooms, cafe w/ outdoor seating, self-wash station, full service grooming & store, wheel chair accessible, water fountains, shade, benches, poop bag dispensers.
Children allowed: Yes
Park culture: Tame, respectful, diverse and eclectic group - people and dogs. Seems to be owners that gravitate down to the water, main path leisure walk people and folks engaging in training or activities tend to stay in the grassy areas. Cyclists and in-line skaters also pass by along the outer portion of park.
Wish list: Nothing I can think of.
Photos/videos/links:
(video was shot on a tame day, also included a photo that is more typical of a weekend crowd.)

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
I am jealous, Fodder. What a great place! Here's mine. I haven't been in over six months.

Name: Tempe Sports Complex Dog Park
City, State: Tempe, AZ
Frequency of visits: previously daily, but on hiatus
Size: 2 acres
Fenced / Unfenced: Fenced
Hours: 6-6
Rules and Regulations: Practically none.
Segregated populations (size, age, temp): No segregation
Features/amenities: Fence, covered area with picnic tables, benches, two water fountains
Children allowed: yes
Park culture: laissez faire, few trained dogs, mostly mixed-breeds, low owner involvement or supervision
Wish list: larger size, separated areas, play equipment, more shade and vegetation, water, better poop pickup, more trained owners
Photos/videos/links:
BEST DOG PARK, TEMPE
Tempe Sports Complex

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Name: none that I know of
City, State: Longmont, Colorado
Frequency of visits: daily
Size: 3-5 acres
Fenced / Unfenced: fenced
Hours: 6am to ??
Rules and Regulations: rule board at the entrance that nobody reads
Segregated populations (size, age, temp): small dog/puppy area that is separate
Features/amenities: water,garbage, porta-potty and agility equipment
Park culture: very friendly, but a little wild at times
Wish list: ???
Photos/videos/links:

20190424_163904.jpg

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Name: none that I know of
City, State: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Frequency of visits: Used to go daily
Size: Unknown but I would guess 20 acres?
Fenced / Unfenced: fenced now, was not previously
Hours: Whenever
Rules and Regulations: rule board at the entrance that nobody reads
Segregated populations (size, age, temp): None
Features/amenities: garbage cans no one uses or empties
Park culture: Depends on the day
Wish list:
Calgary has several of these, not really dog parks but off leash spaces. They are largely unusable land that will eventually fall to road widening, etc. Most are fenced now after a couple of decades about jokes to do with dog population control and busy roads, since almost all border very busy road junctions. They are spotty maintained and the only rules are city by-laws that are not followed, ei: dogs must be under control, pick up after your dog. All are generally filthy and those that are monitored are generally the personal space of the positive only/do as I say/rescue fur mommy's.

Name: It has one but I don't recall
City, State: Kirkland Lake, Ontario
Frequency of visits: daily when I was there
Size: 2-3 acres maybe
Fenced / Unfenced: fenced
Hours: 6am to 9pm
Rules and Regulations: rule board at the entrance
Segregated populations (size, age, temp): none
Features/amenities: water and garbage
Park culture: never saw anyone else there, just the dog deposits
Wish list:
Looked like a nice little area, especially in a small town. Needed trees or some shade.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts