German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doesn't necessarily have to be about a GSD. :)

After a lot of contemplating and thinking and a lot of other things, I decided that I want to rescue my German shepherd when the time comes. There are plenty of purebred GSDs needing homes right now, so I see no need in going to a breeder. I think I'd also prefer to skip the rebellious adolescent stage! LOL

Just a bit about Sania, our lab. (Can't ask if I don't tell!) :) We found her on the street 10 years ago, just running around. Last month I was sitting there thinking... Sania belonged to someone else at one point. That was SO weird to think about and realize. She's our best behaved, most loyal dog. (Well, to me anyway. Our mini schnauzer is my mom's shadow). We think she may have possibly been abused at some point in her life, because when we sweep or if I play Guitar Hero, she cowers like we're going to beat her with it. She's PETRIFIED of bags, whether it be plastic or paper. When anyone yells, she runs and cowers in fear. It's the saddest thing to see. It's been a LONG time since my mom and I have got in a serious (heated) argument, but I ended it with, "You're scaring Sania." (I blamed her, but I know I contributed half of it too). I kind of wonder what her name was before we got her, and why nobody claimed her. She was a great dog when we got her (after we got her a ball).

Anyway. Share your stories? Any background info you know, what you wonder, etc. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
I got kobe from battersea dogs home 11ish years ago, never intended to get a dog as i went with a friend who wanted to rehome one i fell in love with a dog there, so went home checked with my dad it was ok and went back, after extensive Q&A was approved except the dog i had fallen in love with had gone so waited til i got a call from the GSD rehomer to go and look at a couple of dogs she had in, well by the time i got there they had gone!! So i was shown around the back kennels and there was a gorgeous female not sure on the correct colouring as her hair was falling out in chunks but she looked like a wolf!! she was 2 with hd and very very nervous, I didnt want the risk as the dog would be coming to yards with me and have to meet new people so i checked out this couldnt care less about people shy boy, (stray intake) no one had shown any interest as he did not interact at all. Maybe stupidly at that point took him, well he jumped in the car like he had always been mine and from that point never looked back!!! Completely different from in the kennels just hated being in kennels, and the best dog i could ever dream of having in my life.
Tux hubbys dog well someone who couldn't be bothered to have their dog spayed had puppys and well mom showed up with puppy in tow left puppy behind and he stayed.
Scamp was dumped at the shelter as a 4wk old pup came home with us a week later. He is a very sweet and happy go lucky dog just not all that smart but in his own world blissfully happy:p

·
Registered
954 Posts
We got Ace when he was 5 months old. We were his 4th home. So coming into it I just thought maybe the other families weren't ready for a BIG GSD puppy. But as we started to get to know him he has many more issues that I think may have caused him not being wanted. Not that any of that matters. He is more then a handfull. But we will NEVER give up on him. We work with him as much as we can and he is becoming a great boy but he still has his issues. Some times after a long day he lays down with me in bed or on the couch and I just pet his face and cry. God I am such a baby....but to think that no one ever gave him a chance to be something great just breaks my heart. He will probably be a work in progress for a long time yet....but I feel honored to be his teacher.

·
Registered
385 Posts
We have only had our rescue GSD for two weeks now, but I can tell you about our experience so far. I didn't want to get a puppy because we aren't home enough to deal with the constant training and housebreaking etc, but wanted a dog between 1-2 with energy and a sweet nature. We met Regen (she had no name when we met her) and fell in love pretty much right away. We joke about how she was not a bargain dog because on top of the usual dog "startup" costs like crate, bed, food bowls, toys, etc, she has separation anxiety and so we also paid $150 for two sessions with a dog trainer and now pay for doggie daycare on days we can't have her at work. She takes a LOT of work and constant training, and she is just now starting to relax and show her real personality (as well as some of the issues that may have been why she was tossed on the street). I'm happy with our decision to rescue, but definitely be prepared for unexpected costs and regardless of your dog, to do lots and lots of training starting from day 1.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
My very first dog was used. I got him at 12 weeks after he was returned because his first people couldn't housebreak him. We were bonded before I even got him in my car and he never had an accident in the house.

My third dog was also used. I got him at 5 months after his first people brought him to the vet hospital were I was working after he had shattered his hip due to severe malnutrition and they never came back for him. I resisted him for about a week and then took him home. He was one of the best bad dogs a girl could ever ask for.

My fifth and sixth dogs were greyhounds that I got off the track at 3 years and 5 years of age. They are old dogs now and I still love them dearly.

I do rescue for aussie rescue and see a lot of wonderful dogs of all ages come through that make wonderful pets for their new families.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
for a few years, i would drive by this house on my way to work. i had always noticed a dumpy doghouse half buried in a mound of dirt and saw chain leading into the house. in 2007 i saw the dog out of the house a few times. winter was approaching and i couldnt stand driving by this dog every day...i hatched my plan.

i have a doghouse with a heater. i decided i would stop by and offer these folks the doghouse, but intended to steer the conversation toward the dog. eventually the lady said "if i could find her a good home i would give her to someone." my reply: "ill take her." plan worked.

this dog--Sable--had issues. agression that was definitely based in fear and poor/little socialization. a general lack of trust, especially of men (the story was that this women ended up with Sable after someone shot her and threw her into their yard. (vet confirmed a scar that looked like an old gunshot wound)

it has been alot of work. Kimba, my GSD who was 6 month old at the time i got Sable, was great for her, and vice versa....they both thrived on their socialization with each other. at 8 1/2 years , Sable has turned into such a loving dog and has become very sociable and friendly with everyone. she really wanted to please me from the beginning. she just didnt know how to socialize effectively.

·
Registered
865 Posts
We have 2 GSD's that not only were Rescue, but considered "special needs" by the shelter. Klytie was bounced at least twice before she came to us... and does have one issue, which is vomiting after eating. Sometimes several times. We believe she has Mega E... but with some fiddling with the consistency of the meals she now only occasionally does. She's gone from a bony wraith on Tranquilizers to a well filled out senior (she's now 10, and looks 7) who runs our pup ragged. She's brilliant, confident, outgoing... we take her to the Psych ward at our local hospital, and she's always a hit for her gentle nature...One of the BEST GSD's I've ever owned!

Duke was trapped with a pack of wild dogs near Waterbury, and only one of two who were not euthanized for aggression. Duke was a fearful dog, but not a biter. With work he now is comfortable meeting strangers to be petted, and has a silly goofball personality at home. When we totaled my truck 2 years ago, he was thrown out the window, and was missing in the mountains mid winter for 5 weeks... and refused to come to anyone until the wonderful people in the area helped me be at the same place and same time as he was and we managed to bring the baby home. He's now about 7 years old. Though he was only a foster originally I realized he'd do better in a pack setting than as a single dog, so kept him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts