German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Getting a GSD for the first time(THAT I HAD LEGAL OWNERSHIP OF). I thought I would amuse myself with some of your past experiences. When was your first gsd? Which was your BEST GSD? I really am curious how you guys were brought up into the world of k9s.
Thanks For Sharing!

·
Registered
300 Posts
My first GSD experience was when we rescued 3 littermates when they were at 6 months of age. It was intense, and none of us would do multiple GSD pups at the same time again -especially siblings, but it was an unforgettable experience. They lived until 12+ years of age, I'll never forget them :)

ETA: the rest is history! Been addicted ever since.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My first GSD was Riley. My heart dog, my soulmate dog, he was amazing and I miss him so very much.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
My first GSD was not mine at all. I was 5 and he belonged to my Dad's army buddy. My parents spent many days over at this friends house out on their covered patio BBQ, beer and war stories and my play companion was this huge GSD.

I was mesmerized by him. He was aloof and a very stoic soul. I'm quite sure he was bored to tears but he hung out in the lower yard with me. We dug holes and hunted bugs and I put leaves in his collar to dress him up. I didn't know he was just "guarding the little one" until one day some guy was running up their alley and jumped on the back fence and made it about half way over. I think someone was chasing him and he had planned to hop over a fence to hide - wrong move - my dad and his friend had to "detach" Smoke's jaws from the mans rear.

Anyway, I spent so many days with that dog. Told him all my deep and burdensome 5 year old problems - he was a good listener:)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Well, I guess there's really not much to say about my very first GSDs...sometime in the early 70's, Daddy came home from a fishing trip with two puppies he'd found abandoned in the river bottoms. Whole family fell in love with them, and they died from distemper after $100 worth of vet bills. Um, those were 1970 dollars, by the way, roughly equivalent to $600 today.

Fast forward a few decades, and in April of 2012, due to a broken washing machine, I went to a local Laundromat with dirty clothes. I came home with clean clothes and a half dead GSD puppy. Quite frankly, neither I nor my vet thought she would even survive the weekend, and if she did, she was being turned over to a rescue group, because I already had two dogs, and didn't really want a third. Um, yeah...

2015-7-5 Dogs & morning glories DSC_0585 by Rosemary Elwell, on Flickr

Best guess on her lines is "WGSL by way of a BYB". Not the brightest bulb on the tree, and stupid friendly, but I love her.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I was 4 when we got Cubby. She was that once in a lifetime dog. She lived to be 14. Woke up one day to my dad carrying her in. She was a great dog. She was our backstop playing street hockey and protected us a few times from loose dogs.
Then I had a mitt who was stolen from my backyard when I lived in Vegas. Moved back to NY and got a boxer. He was smart but a typical clown boxer. He was a good dog.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My first GSD experience was when we rescued 3 littermates when they were at 6 months of age. It was intense, and none of us would do multiple GSD pups at the same time again -especially siblings, but it was an unforgettable experience. They lived until 12+ years of age, I'll never forget them :)

ETA: the rest is history! Been addicted ever since.
Wow! You bought three as your first GSD? Bravery my friend..Lol

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I guess there's really not much to say about my very first GSDs...sometime in the early 70's, Daddy came home from a fishing trip with two puppies he'd found abandoned in the river bottoms. Whole family fell in love with them, and they died from distemper after $100 worth of vet bills. Um, those were 1970 dollars, by the way, roughly equivalent to $600 today.

Fast forward a few decades, and in April of 2012, due to a broken washing machine, I went to a local Laundromat with dirty clothes. I came home with clean clothes and a half dead GSD puppy. Quite frankly, neither I nor my vet thought she would even survive the weekend, and if she did, she was being turned over to a rescue group, because I already had two dogs, and didn't really want a third. Um, yeah...

2015-7-5 Dogs & morning glories DSC_0585 by Rosemary Elwell, on Flickr

Best guess on her lines is "WGSL by way of a BYB". Not the brightest bulb on the tree, and stupid friendly, but I love her.
Touching story. What destiny your machine broke down the same time the pup was there!

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
My first GSD was a beautiful long coat WGSL girl I got from a breeder. She was my first dog that was all mine. We started in SchH then finished as a wilderness SAR dog. She was pretty perfect. And very forgiving. I made a lot of mistakes!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
First GSD I got as an adult is my dog Carly - Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations. She's 5 years old now. I got her from a friend of mine who breeds and shows GSDs, when she was about 9 weeks old. She's a great dog. In fact I often refer to her as my "perfect" dog. She has a good solid temperament, is a really fun dog to show, and is ball crazy. Likes kids.

My family got a GSD when I was about 12 years old, and my mother and I took her to obedience classes, and then showed her - my mother showed her in conformation, and I showed her in juniors. She was a very smart dog.

I've had three GSDs as an adult, and the one when I was a kid. All of them had/have good temperaments.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Im noticing no one bought one from a breeder....makes me think..
I've never actually purchased a dog at all. They've all either been rescues or else given to me by people who didn't want them any more.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My first GSD was a beautiful long coat WGSL girl I got from a breeder. She was my first dog that was all mine. We started in SchH then finished as a wilderness SAR dog. She was pretty perfect. And very forgiving. I made a lot of mistakes!!
She is beautiful!

·
Registered
44 Posts
i actually haven't gotten my first GSD, technically! just here to learn as much as i can until i do, sometime next year :)

however, my childhood dog Jane was a GSD mix, though with a textbook GSD personality. i was hers and she was mine--she was by my side no matter what, learned any trick i could think to teach her, and taught me so much. the other dog that made an impact on me during childhood was a purebred GSD stray we took care of for a few weeks... he turned out to be a retired police dog, which explained his perfect manners and impressive, wise, watchful personality. i drew pictures of him for months afterwards.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Did you have any issues at all?
Well, I've only rehomed one dog I took in over the past 20 years. He was a Dachshund X Cocker Spanial cross, and got the worst of both breeds. I never could get him housebroken, or keep him in the yard. He also had an unstable temperament, and bit my mom. I gave him to someone who wanted a smaller sized "yard dog" (in other words, an outside dog). My Dobe mix was very happy when she realized he wasn't coming back....

Ilka, my 5 year old mutt, has turned out to be snarky and reactive, but we manage her. She hates kids other than my own, and can jump my 6' high fence, so she is never outside unsupervised. She can no longer go to regular obedience or rally trials, we we are doing other things like Cyber Rally-O. She's training for nosework and tracking, but it's likely that she'll never be able to compete.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts