German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me anything you know about these blood sucking leeches. :mad:

I pulled a partially engorged female off Berlins chest today. As i'm walking downstairs..I notice a smaller MALE tick on my wall?!

Im maybe .5 seconds away from freaking out because ticks just beyond gross me out. Can these ticks infest my house? I have them both in bleach for now until I decide how to dispose of them. UGH

I really hope there are no others on Berlin. He is coated, so its really hard to tell.

Also, hes on K9 advantix ii, and I put it on just a week and a half ago, pretty angry about that. Not only do they claim that a tick cant walk more than 10 inches on a dog before dying, but that it will KILL them within 10 minutes when they bite (or make them fall off that fast but then they die shortly after). This tick was biting for atleast a few hours, probably more.

I cleaned the wound with hydrogen peroxide, and put an antibiotic on it. I got the head out, as a tiny chunk of skin ripped out as well...and was in the ticks mouth.

Seriously, between this, brown recluse bites I have gotten, and lepto, I am going to live in a bubble until winter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I kive in southern illinois. We live on a 20 wooded acres and we run into ticks all the time. About the only way to kill them is burn them. Once you pull them off the dog. We put them in a ash tray and burn em. I dont think they will hurt your dog but make sure youblook him over snd pull them off. They like to be by the ears and collar.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
184 Posts
I use K9 Advantix II too. That's odd, so far this stuff has been repelling and killing them even when they have attached to the dog upon applying- I was stunned to pull one off that had latched onto Sam that died still attached i'm guessing a day or so before I got to putting on the stuff. I hate ticks and arachnids completely.

All I know is that it's best to keep your dog and you away from having to go in contact with long grass and when it's wet out it's a lot easier to catch them- supposedly they like the rain? The worst thing that has happened with my dogs and ticks was that my Hanna developed Lyme Disease sometime in her life obviously from being in constant contact with them and tick(s) that were carrying it. Sadly, Lyme doesn't always go away completely and is said to re-emerge later on even with treatment.

·
Registered
345 Posts
This things terrify me. They weren't even a factor with my last dog. 15 years ago. Now I have two dogs, and we like to walk in the forest. They both get inspected twice a day. Groomed once. Hopefully its enough to keep them off. They are both on flea/tick/heartworm medicine. My vet says the meds will kill any latched tick within hours, making the chances very slim to get Lyme disease. I still don't trust it. Cut my entire backyard grass very short. And removed any old sticks/leaves etc....
Hate the things.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I think Lyme requires at least 24 hours to transmit while others like RMSF can be transmitted almost immediately. So far so good with the garlic for Beau. I am picking up ticks left and right and he is unscathed. With the preventic we used before they would latch and die.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I don't worry much about dog ticks. They don't transmit lyme. I pull them off Nikon quite often (just pulled one off two days ago). Luckily this is the only type of tick I've found on my dog.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I cant stand those things. They are out in full force in NYC and we are constantly pulling them off of our dog. The only thing that concerns me about them is that they are the only type of tick that can complete a lifecycle indoors and infest a home. Deer ticks etc cannot infest a home but dog ticks can, so we are careful to find as many as we can.

I keep him on k9 advantix and have yet to find a fully gorged one, but they do bite and need to be pulled off.

I would check the ceilings constantly as they climb up after feeding. I would also check the walls, and holes in the baseboards etc since after climbing up they fall down and find a hole to lay their stinking eggs (up to 5000!).

Of course, to infest a home a female has to climb on a dog, fully gorge herself, while at the same time a male has to be on the same dog and they mate after feeding, so its not like one tick means ur house can be infested but better safe than sorry and it doesn't cost anything to look around and check tick "hotspots" around your house.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
The Lone Star ticks biting right now down here transmit Erlichia, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and STARI.

Don't dog ticks trasmit Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever? Dogs can get that one as well as humans (it is much more of an issue here than Lyme)

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I think dog ticks can transmit erlichia but it's quite rare (probably more rare than many things I'm not routinely checking for). Not sure about RMSF. Usually when I pull a tick off I freeze it in a container in case the dog starts to show symptoms and the tick could be useful. However if I ran tests or went to the vet for every tick I pulled off my dog we'd be there 1-2 times a week. When we train in tick infested areas I just make a point to go over him carefully. I swat a lot of them off before they are biting. I've used tick preventatives in the past with mixed success so even while he's on that I still have to check him because I don't trust it. I found a deer tick on myself (not biting) a few years back but since then all I've seen are dog ticks.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FWIW, the bleach killed those MF's..So how do you guys go about checking over your dogs? I mean..the female who was partially engorged felt like a lump, couldnt miss it, but the male I found on my wall was TINY. Id never feel one that size! Plus, Berlins fur is outta control. Also, is there any harm in putting some tick shampoo in a water bottle, diluting it, and spraying it on my dogs underside/legs before we go out hiking/running in a tick-infested area? My aunt is a groomer and said one of her clients does that with his hunting dog..

The Lone Star ticks biting right now down here transmit Erlichia, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and STARI.

Don't dog ticks trasmit Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever? Dogs can get that one as well as humans (it is much more of an issue here than Lyme)
I think Lyme requires at least 24 hours to transmit while others like RMSF can be transmitted almost immediately. So far so good with the garlic for Beau. I am picking up ticks left and right and he is unscathed. With the preventic we used before they would latch and die.
Yes the American Dog Ticks do transmit the RMSF...I called my vet, and they said that they dont see too many cases of it around here..Nancy, what do you mean by garlic?? Is it killing the ticks?

I cant stand those things. They are out in full force in NYC and we are constantly pulling them off of our dog. The only thing that concerns me about them is that they are the only type of tick that can complete a lifecycle indoors and infest a home. Deer ticks etc cannot infest a home but dog ticks can, so we are careful to find as many as we can.

I keep him on k9 advantix and have yet to find a fully gorged one, but they do bite and need to be pulled off.

I would check the ceilings constantly as they climb up after feeding. I would also check the walls, and holes in the baseboards etc since after climbing up they fall down and find a hole to lay their stinking eggs (up to 5000!).

Of course, to infest a home a female has to climb on a dog, fully gorge herself, while at the same time a male has to be on the same dog and they mate after feeding, so its not like one tick means ur house can be infested but better safe than sorry and it doesn't cost anything to look around and check tick "hotspots" around your house.
The Brown Dog tick is the one your thinking of! Thats the one that infests houses and can complete its whole cycle indoors. *shudder* THANK goodness those are not in my area. See the on on him was latched on, it wasnt THAT engorged, so I really have no idea how long it had been on him. But k9 advantix claims it kills them really fast..And ironically enough, I found a MALE in my house, so both a female and male hitched a ride inside. Have not found any since, so I hope they are all off of him..

I use K9 Advantix II too. That's odd, so far this stuff has been repelling and killing them even when they have attached to the dog upon applying- I was stunned to pull one off that had latched onto Sam that died still attached i'm guessing a day or so before I got to putting on the stuff. I hate ticks and arachnids completely.

All I know is that it's best to keep your dog and you away from having to go in contact with long grass and when it's wet out it's a lot easier to catch them- supposedly they like the rain? The worst thing that has happened with my dogs and ticks was that my Hanna developed Lyme Disease sometime in her life obviously from being in constant contact with them and tick(s) that were carrying it. Sadly, Lyme doesn't always go away completely and is said to re-emerge later on even with treatment.
Yeah I dunno why it didnt work..I dont know if maybe I didnt put any up hight enough on his neck? Who knows. Luckily, Lyme is pretty rare around here, because only deer ticks transmit it here and most ticks are american dog ticks in my area. But they transmit RMPF, which can be alot worse if not caught quickly.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah I dunno why it didnt work..I dont know if maybe I didnt put any up hight enough on his neck? Who knows. Luckily, Lyme is pretty rare around here, because only deer ticks transmit it here and most ticks are american dog ticks in my area. But they transmit RMPF, which can be alot worse if not caught quickly.
I distribute the drops in at least 4-5 different spots starting from their head/neck and then go down to the base of their tail. It has to be able to absorb long enough into the skin and it's best to avoid water and giving a bath after just putting it on. I always give a bath first and then wait a day or two before applying.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
..Nancy, what do you mean by garlic?? Is it killing the ticks?
I really did not use any tick prevention last year and did not have a problem. This year the ticks are HEAVY and I am using oral garlic (Springtime bug off) and daily tick checks. So far no issues though I come back with them even after spraying my own clothes with permetrhrin.

If we start finding them on him, I will go to preventic again. It does seem to kill them before they engorge which will limit the diseases as they are transmitted by the tick injecting saliva which serves as an anticoagulant.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts