German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have the pedigree, is there any way to research what health problems may be in the lines? Or - is it up to knowing people with years of experience and knowledge?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
It helps but don't bank on it.
My boxer was from a breeder who inherited a line from her father (who took over for his father) so they had been breeding them since the 20's or 30's and TWO out of the same litter died at age 6 of hemangiosarcoma... Mine being one of them. She said none of the dogs had ever died at such young age.
I guess these things can pop up out of nowhere.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
If you have the pedigree, is there any way to research what health problems may be in the lines? Or - is it up to knowing people with years of experience and knowledge?
It depends on whether or not the breeder makes health or genetic issues in their line common knowledge.

The first place to start is by asking the breeder. If you have a white shepherd, (your avatar) you can see if the breeder is part of the White Shepherd Genetics Project. Not sure if there's genetic database for standard GSD's.

You can check the OFA site and see if any of the dogs in the pedigree are on it. OFA will at least tell you about hips and elbows. (assuming you can check imports registered with SV but don't know how?)

You can hunt down dogs from the line and talk to the owners.

Are you having a problem or just curious?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My white shepherd in my avatar, Willow, is the reason I have gotten a little paranoid. I got her from a backyard breeder ... it was love at first sight ... but the "breeder" had done no health testing or anything on any of his dogs.
This was 9 years ago, and I didnt know then what I know now .......

I did PennHIP on Willow and got a TERRIBLE score (I want to say 30% or something)- we did surgery early on, so her hips would have a better chance of growing correctly. While they were doing surgery and spaying her, they found her blood wouldnt clot and she had a bad reaction to the anesthesia ... on top of those, we also discovered inflammatory bowel disease because she'd eat something and drop 20-30 pounds in a matter of days ... the blood disorder turned out to be immune-mediated thrombocytopenia. So with the bad hips, bad blood, and bad stomach/intestines, it was an intense 8.5 years that I had with her. Feeding schedules every 4-6 hours round the clock, bumps and scratches that wouldn't clot (and horse flies LOVED to sting up her ears!) Still ... I do NOT regret the day I met her, or the home equity loan I took out to pay her vet bills. ;)

ANYWAY .... I'm getting a new shepherd pup (not a white one ... I don't think I can do another white shepherd) in two weeks. I know the father's pedigree, but haven't found the dam's online yet even tho I've seen a copy of it in person. I've been researching it to check hip ratings, at least. "Dad" is only OFA: Fair but the other dogs in his lines all look ok. I'll still get New Pup checked when it's old enough.

I guess I'm a little nervous, after my ... adventures ... with Willow. I know there's NEVER any guarantee, even with the healthiest of parents. That's life.

This is "Dad" ...
Brix z Malej Fatry - German shepherd dog

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I don't blame you for being nervous, our last shepherd had HD among other things. She was a wonderful dog but no dog should have to feel as bad as she did sometimes.

For your new puppy, I would ask the breeder to email you the dam's full registered name and get information on her hip and elbow ratings at least.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I agree with Whiteshepherds. The breeder should be supplying you with the pedigree of the mother. I would also talk to them about health issues though not all are willing to talk about these things.

Even when you think you know things those nasty genes have a tendency to pop up out of no where. You can know your lines for generations and still have recessives show up one day.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Based on the photo of the male....I am saying he is an import....and for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the kennel. All their pictures are taken in the same place.
The SV posts hip scores...VIDEX german shepherds has some great links on their website for looking information up. There shouldnt be any reason you cant get copies of the sire and dams papers. If the breeders are reluctant to provide you with information you are requesting, I would not buy a pup from them. Reputable breeders put it all out there. When people are reluctant to provide information, to me that means they are trying to hide something. I have all my females certificates (OFA etc. )and vet records and title certificates. If a puppy buyer requests to see them, I take that as being a serious puppy buyer. They care where their pup is coming from.

I think I just remembered the importers name, maybe Eurosport. Or something along those lines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts