German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for the pups to lose apetite during teething? Bella has been really hesitant to eat for the last couple of days, she's been teething very much just this past week alone.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Her mouth probably hurts. You might want to put a little warm water on the dry food to make it softer, add a scrambled egg, maybe some yogurt. I tied a knot in a washcloth, got it wet, froze it and then let them chew on it to relieve the pain. Poor baby.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any idea how long does it last? I know it is happening between the 4 and 6 months of age, but the whole process doesn't take 2 months, does it?

·
Registered
195 Posts
yeah right around there... both my twins lost their appetite for a while too while they were teething. People always commented on how skinny they were. I did everything I could to get them to eat. They never ate their daily recommended amount the entire time they were teething, they always slid by on the bare minimum. I mixed in some of the canned food with the crunchy stuff and let it sit for a few minutes to soften..it helped but still couldnt always get the whole meal down...
This too shall pass....

·
Registered
15 Posts
my dog is going through major teething at the moment too. he is 5 1/2 months old and is in the thick of it. thankfully he hasn't had any loss of appetite.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
And then at 7 months or so they want to USE their new teeth. I feel like teething lasts until they are a year old.....Jake has become mouthy and chewing a lot more NOW at 7 months so hang on it's not even close to over! :)

·
Registered
636 Posts
put something yummy in the food. yogurt, etc.
I've done that for minna on a couple meals, because I know she's a fat butt and lovessss to eat; but for some reason there's been a couple of lunches that she hasn't finished, so about once a week i'll add something yummy to it

·
Registered
262 Posts
In one of the threads I read about trying to numb their gums with ice prior to feeding. I've a puppy that I feed frozen yougurt just before his food. seems to work !

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I hope her mouth feels better soon....I keep some small carotts in the house, she likes to chew on them when they are really cold (I keep them in the fridge but I will put one in the freezer for about an hour before I give it to her) and it seems to feel good for her.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts