German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gorgeous 6 yr male needs to have his upper canines pulled. The dog dentist just called and said a full mouth xray showed that they have cracks and the pulp is huge (a sign of problems). He also has to have his two lower molars pulled because they have huge cavities. She said root canals are not an option for the lower ones and if she did root canals on the upper ones, he would have to be rechecked under anesthesia every six months. It took four people to hold him down for anesthesia (he is 90 pounds) and he's on Prozac which makes anesthesia a little more difficult. For those reasons, she said if it were her dog, she'd pull them and I agreed. He is terrified leaving me at the vets.

I'm just heartbroken.

She said that he'll be able to eat kibble, dog biscuits, etc., after he recovers and that she has had hunting dogs still perform in the field. She also said that he must be in a lot of pain with these teeth although you'd never know it.

I'm just sick about this. Blaming myself big time. He has never been a big tartar forming dog and his annual check ups showed that his gums, etc., were fine so the regular vet didn't think a cleaning was necessary. Doggie dentist said gum problems are the majority of problems and that this is really rather rare - cavities occur 10% of the time. Lesson learned - the hard way.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I'm so sorry. My boy recently broke off the tips of his power canines, and I felt the same way...heartbroken.

I betcha your handsome fella will be just fine, though, and you will carry on having fun together as always! Cheer up!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I'm so sorry, I feel your pain, my not even 2 yr old fractured his lower right canine and had a pulpotomy done. His other lower canine is worn at the tip. I am now constantly looking at his teeth and hoping nothing else happens to them.

Good luck with your boy :)

·
Registered
9,723 Posts
I am so sorry.
Is it possible to get a second opinion?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am so sorry.
Is it possible to get a second opinion?
We have one good doggie dentist in this town & she just did the procedure. My regular vet also said the molars looked bad - so I'm guessing that we probably did the right thing.

Being a "prozac dog" he couldn't have a dental block, so he's going to be in a lot of pain. I'm just heartbroken, crying, ugh.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's home, still a little unsteady, moving very slowly. Ate a little breakfast & had his pills - NSAID, pain med & antibiotic. So hard to see him down like this. Didn't seem to have problems eating - all soft food. Feeding very lightly for today. I'm so glad I don't have to go anywhere until tomorrow - and that's just teaching a one hour obedience class & then I'm right home again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts