German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Niko is 5 months now. About a week ago, I noticed one of his teeth seems to be chipped, almost like the enamel chipped off. The tooth does not seem to bother him and he shows no signs of pain/discomort. Appetite is just as strong as it ever was. Anyone else had something similar to the pictures I've attached? Is this a definite trip to the vet or am I just worrying too much? Thanks for the help/feedback.

Gabe

Attachments

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Strange, it looks like a "cap" was removed. This could lead to further problems and I'd get it checked out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no idea if this is an adult tooth. He will be 5 months I guess on the 28th of April. I think it is an adult one. I know he has had some adult teeth come in because I saw them coming in on the bottom. We are new dog owners and are not sure about everything. I just took another look at the tooth and tapped on it and he did not mind it one bit. I've used a search engine to look at cracked/chipped teeth on dogs and some look similar, but nothing quite like this. I thought the same thing as you Nigel. It looks as if a cap came off of the tooth.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It looks like an adult incisor (especially next to his baby canine). I'd definitely get it checked out - even if it's not bothering him now, you might be able to do something to prevent further damage or loss of the tooth.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I would have it checked. With something like this I would decide when to take the dog in based on when the next planned trip is. Without any indication of pain, I would wait up to a month to have it looked at. So if you are planning on getting vaccines or something soon, it isn't urgent. But I wouldn't wait too long.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would have it checked. With something like this I would decide when to take the dog in based on when the next planned trip is. Without any indication of pain, I would wait up to a month to have it looked at. So if you are planning on getting vaccines or something soon, it isn't urgent. But I wouldn't wait too long.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm gonna call the vet today and keep you all updated. As I type this, Niko is inhaling his puppy food seemingly pain free!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Enamel

Just wanted ot let you all know what I found out! We took Niko in today and the vet said that it was just his enamel that came off and that it is going to stay like that for the rest of his life unless it becomes a problem for him. She said that since there is no pain and the tooth appears to be in good health that there is nothing to worry about. She did mention that the tooth will be prone to tartar/plaque build up because of its rough appearance. Thanks for the help everyone!

Gabe

·
Registered
766 Posts
Just wanted ot let you all know what I found out! We took Niko in today and the vet said that it was just his enamel that came off and that it is going to stay like that for the rest of his life unless it becomes a problem for him. She said that since there is no pain and the tooth appears to be in good health that there is nothing to worry about. She did mention that the tooth will be prone to tartar/plaque build up because of its rough appearance. Thanks for the help everyone!

Gabe
That's what my vet said too about my pups teeth (he has two teeth with chipped enamel) :) glad your isn't giving you any grief either. Sucky part is the discoloring though :/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts