German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So in about 5 weeks I'll be bringing home my puppy! I've read countless books on positive reinforcement training and watched hundreds of videos all using clicker training. (If you are interested, check out these youtube channel: YouTube - tab289's Channel | YouTube - kikopup's Channel | YouTube - hunkymonkeykaine's Channel The first and last links are GSDs)

I want to get in the habit of grooming daily including teeth brushing. Obviously I want to start (at least pretend like I'm doing it) at a young age so that they will be used to it. Does anyone have any experience with brushing pups teeth? Is it even safe or will it hurt due to teething and such. If I shouldn't brush his teeth during puppyhood, I want to at least get into a routine of touching his mouth and making him show is teeth and all that every morning just so he will be used to it by the time I really start. Of course I'll reward him for staying and letting me handle him and being a good boy.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
It should be fine. You can use one of those rubber finger toothbrushes, they are very gentle.
If you're interested in clicker training, there are some good instructions on using clicker training to get a dog used to handling, grooming and being examined in the book Quick Clicks by Cheryl S. Smith! It also has other neat training ideas.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I agree...start brushing your puppies teeth early so they get used to it. Make sure if you use a toothbrush, that its a soft one for dogs and also make sure you use a toothpaste for dogs as well. The toothpaste we use will make them sick.

I brush my dogs teeth and she loves it.

·
Super Moderator
32,038 Posts
I love that you're already getting training tips - those are all great youtube channels! I always mean to start out with brushing the puppy's teeth, but somehow I never manage to get around to it. You can start by wrapping a damp washcloth around your finger and rubbing the teeth gently, you don't even need a doggy toothbrush.

The more handling desensitization you do, the better. Touch his feet, gently hold his muzzle for just a second, stick your fingers in his ears, touch his belly and his tail. Lots of happy praise and treats will make this a pleasant experience for him. Teaching him to accept gentle restraint is good too, I cradle puppies in my lap with their back against my chest for brief periods several times a day.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love that you're already getting training tips - those are all great youtube channels! I always mean to start out with brushing the puppy's teeth, but somehow I never manage to get around to it. You can start by wrapping a damp washcloth around your finger and rubbing the teeth gently, you don't even need a doggy toothbrush.

The more handling desensitization you do, the better. Touch his feet, gently hold his muzzle for just a second, stick your fingers in his ears, touch his belly and his tail. Lots of happy praise and treats will make this a pleasant experience for him. Teaching him to accept gentle restraint is good too, I cradle puppies in my lap with their back against my chest for brief periods several times a day.
Yep, I've started researching the art of dog training a looong time ago. In preparation for my shepherd. I actually used my parents old dog and my (future) in-laws' 1 year old bichon as my clicker training practice pups. The bichon doesn't get challenged much and my mother in-law has the tendency to shout no! at every unwanted behavior instead of try to counter condition the behavior. I've managed to teach her tricks like walk backwards on command, tracking (touch whatever i hold when i say "touch") with her nose, jumping back and forth over my raised leg on command, and a bunch of fun things like that. My goal is to get her to be obedient via clicker training so that my mom inlaw will see that it is useful for training them out of bad habits as well and to not let the bichon do whatever she wants. I managed to get her to sit patiently as we eat dinner instead of try and stick her nose in what we have. Unfortunately, there is lack of consistency since I am only there probably every other weekend.

But I digress, I'm so excited to finally give it 100% everyday with my own GSD and have consistency with the training.

Thanks for the recommendations on the books btw, ChicagoCanine. I'll definitely give it a look. I'm obsessed with the topic of training in general haha. I sound crazy :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts