German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maddie is a 6.5 mo old pure German Shepherd. My boyfriend and i are a military family and had to leave town for two weeks so we thought why not get her trained while we are gone. We found a trainer that we loved and she stayed with him for 4 weeks working on basic obedience. We had already taught her sit and down and come and was at the point where we could leave her out at night without incidence.

We visited twice and saw great improvement and were very excited to pick her up. When the day came for us to pick her up and the trainer work with us for a few hours she acted crazy ! She refused to do anything the trainer asked of her and even snapped at him a few times when she didn't want to do a command. The trainer said she hadn't acted like this at all and that maybe she felt abandoned a bit we took her home and she peed 4 times in the house, has had some discharge and we had to retrain her on the house rules ( no jumping on the couch, go to door for potty, etc)

We've been working everyday on the commands and its like she has selective hearing and doesn't want to listen at all!

Did we waste our money or is this just "teenage rebellion" or could it be a medical issue? We tested her for a UTI and it was negative. She is getting spayed may 31 and is not in heat yet.

Our trainer is still going to work with us but What are your thoughts!? We don't know why she is acting so different !

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Yes, I agree partly why Maddie is acting up is adolescence, the other part is the month she spent away from you at her young age. To her, she thought she had a new home. At 8 weeks or so, she left her first home to live with you - then 3 months later, she goes to live with the trainer for a new month. So, when you come to pick her up - she is all confused and frankly doesn't want to leave- so she acts up out of confusion. I would just take it slow and steady and be consistent but not stern with her. Also play with her (fetch/tug where she ends up winning is a great way to establish bonding) so she can see that it is fun to be be with you. It may be better for now if you didn't work with that trainer because she seems to have also come very attached to him and for him to work with the training again would only confuse her more. I would check into group classes with a different trainer in your area. I would also let the trainer you had know why because it isn't his fault. I also think that the spaying is at a good time because she will be very happy to see you when you pick her after the surgery :)

·
Registered
10,363 Posts
I also think that the spaying is at a good time because she will be very happy to see you when you pick her after the surgery :)
Personally I would postpone the surgery until you and her are on one page again or after one heat. To me it woud feel like abandonment all over.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts