German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor Teddy isn't get as much exercise as she needs, since I'm undergoing chemo treatments.

Anyway, my daughter put her on the treadmill last weekend and she just loved it. Today she did thirty minutes at a moderate-to-fast walking pace. I don't think it would be safe for her to run since I think her stride might get too long.

She jumps right on when called!

My Teddy really misses the dog park, though. :(

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Sorry you're having to go through chemo, I hope it's not too bad for you. I'm sure Teddy is being good about not being able to go to the dog park as much. I know Sunflowers uses a treadmill for Hans, but it's one that is specially designed to use for dogs. I'm sure using a regular one for just moderate paced walking is fun for Teddy.

Hoping the best for you and Teddy, I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers :)

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it's not too bad. It's just that my blood counts can drop quickly, so I have to be very careful. There are drugs for that, too, but I prefer to cocoon safely at home with only a few trips out and stay as healthy as possible.

On the other hand, the drugs for nausea are so good right now, some people actually work through chemo treatments. I have some problems with stomach upset the first week and it's not pleasant, but it's nothing like you see in the old movies where you'd rather die than take treatment. It's toally doable.

Just wanted to put this out there to encourage others who may need treatment someday.

Meanwhile, I feel sorry for Teddy, but as a member of the family, she is just going to have to suck it up like everyone else. This, too, shall pass. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
You have an amazing attitude! Teddy is lucky to have you.

I have used a treadmill for Dante since he was little. He loves it too. I started using one when my husky was diagnosed with diabetes as a way to really regulate her exercise and her blood sugar.

Best of luck to you and a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Jo My thoughts and prayers are w/ you. Gotta agree you have a great attitude, Take cae and remeber Teddy's biggest wish is for you to be well but I bet she loves the treadmill. Take care.
Maggi

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yay glad Teddy loves the treadmill!!
Gunner loves it too!!
I will keep you in my prayers!!!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if Singe could figure out how to turn it on, he'd never get OFF! :)
Oh, that's funny!

Thanks, everyone, for the encouraging words. I'm doing well and can't wait to resume a normal life again with Teddy. I used to take her to the dog park five days a week, early in the morning when a really nice group of regulars (people and dogs) are there.

I hope to resume in May.

·
Premium Member
4,733 Posts
healing thoughts and prayers comming your way, its wont be too long before you and teddy are enjoying the dog park again. of course the dirt and mud she will be bringing in is a whole other story, lol

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
That is encouraging news! Hope you get cured quickly beyond the doctors' projections so you can feel better soon and get to the dog park.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts