German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason our 7 mo old hates her fluffy cozy bed. I put a nice plush bed in her crate she shreds it. She enjoys the plastic bottom for some reason. I want to start keeping her out of the crate at night but she needs imo a designated area for her "bed" so I was trying to get her used to something that could be in or out of the crate as her sleeping area. Any ideas or comments?

·
Banned
599 Posts
My dog is exactly like that! Little Bella loves sleeping on the plastic part of her crate, but HATES when we put in a bed or mat. It may be because they like the coolness, or something. If you want her to sleep outside of the crate, she how she is sleeping on it outside of it. She may not like it when it is inside the crate, so next time she has to go to sleep keep the crate closed and lead her to the bed. Most of the time when Bella is outside of the crate she just sleeps on the floor or in my bed. A lot of dogs just don't like dog beds. Good Luck!:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I say in your room she goes in and sits. Door can be open she will stay in. At night she now enjoys sleeping around the central air vent in the floor. Don't blame her for that lately here..haha Our rottie who we lost late last year slept next to our bed and I liked that. My kids love her and she is so good with them. They argue who gets to feed her. Maybe I will try an old comforter next to the bed.

·
Registered
766 Posts
All my dog wants is his blanket in his crate and he's fine. After dropping sixty bucks on a bed that he shredded we just let him sleep in our room on another blanket and a pillow tucked under. one blanket is in the crate and the other is in our bedroom. They're cheap secondhand fleece throws or old blankets we no longer use.

I also, to get him used to laying on a blanket, trained him to "place" on it. So I tell him to place and he goes and lays down on the blanket no matter where it is.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
don't put any bedding in her crate. my dog destroyed his crate bedding.
he has a bed in our livingroom and a bed in our bedroom. he aslo uses our
bed and the sofa.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
If you have a shredder like yours you never want to give them bedding material like that if you are going to leave them unattended. They might eat it and end up needing a surgery. If the pup loves the plastic bottom of a crate then great. They cant use it as a diaper for urine, they cant tear it up and eat it, and its cheaper than getting them stuff.

Sometimes dogs don't appreciate soft things like we do. My adult lab would rather sleep on the floor next to the bed than on the bed. He will lay on the bed next to me until I fall asleep and then move to the floor.

·
Registered
279 Posts
my boy destroyed 4 fancy beds as puppy before I got his point and give him old fleece blanket. He will use it only in winter anyway. He seeks coolest place rest of the year. Now he has one dog bed which we use as his place to go lay down if we need him out of the way. He prefers bare floor if he has choice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the very helpful info. She is always home with someone which is nice so she is not in her crate all day or left alone.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Thanks to cassidy's mom(who has been using them forever I think :) ) , I ordered the kuranda bed for our puppy. He has shred everything else but this one - no. He watched me assemble it(takes about 10 - 15 minutes). And then I used the place command. He loves to curl up on it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
don't put any bedding in her crate. my dog destroyed his crate bedding.
That's what my pup did to his. Now he sleeps on the tray and he is fine. I've been thinking about getting him a pet bed, but I am very hesitant. He doesn't yet understand the difference between "breaking in" and "broken."

·
Premium Member
4,733 Posts
I remember posting the same thing a while back when lexie was a puppy. I was told that she hasn't earned a bed if she keeps shreading it. so I waited till she was over a year and introduced one to her. she loves it in the winter, but I take it out in the summer, too hot for her.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My female politely took the bed out of the crate. She didn't like a blanket in there either. I wouldn't even attempt to put a bed in my male's crate, he would shred it in 5 seconds flat...he is a chewer.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Ny 11 month old GSD Tess was the same way, she didn't like anything in her crate and if I tried to put something in there to make her comfortable, she would either rip it apart or pee on it! I let her go for months just sleeping on the plastic, but lately I would hear her tossing and turning in there, she just wouldn't seem to settle at all, so I tried putting a nice fleece piece of material in there to see what she'd do and she seems to like it now. So far, and it's only been about a week now, she hasn't ripped it or peed on it. I'm hoping now that she's becoming a little more mature, she may accept it. I want her to be comfortable.

Odd behavior for a dog, must be a shepherd thing. None of my other dogs ever ruined their bedding, always accepted it 100$.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
She has moved her attention to my wood deck now.. lol Even if I am out there she just walks by and gnaws on the posts. She is nuts! I put hot sauce on it and she loved it. She has an abundance of toys and the kids play with her and she still is a shredder

1 - 16 of 16 Posts