German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So over night and while we are at work we keep our puppy ( just over 12 weeks) in our laundry room. We have her crate in there and just leave the door open so she can go in and out as she wants. Than we just have a few pee pads down on one end of the room. This is the way the breeder has always done it, and kind of figured if it worked for her than it would work for us. Neither of us really wanted to leave her in the crate all the time anyway. So she has gotten better, hasn’t pooped in there in a few weeks but still pees(on the pads). Don’t mind the pee too much, as I would say it’s slowly getting better. Less spots anyway. The biggest problem is her tearing them up. Luckily it’s usually the ones that weren’t used. Just wondering if anyone else does something similar, and maybe has a way to keep her from ripping up the pee pads.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I agree with LuvShepherds, we had a 12 year old who would ask us to take her out and if we didn't jump and run to the door she would still go down to the laundry room.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The main reason we started it this way is because we knew a few people who did it and had success. Their dogs are older now and have no problems and don’t go in the house. We have talked about moving her to the crate. She also has a UTI right now, would it be bad to expect her to hold it the whole time with that. Or do we just get up with her every few hours over night to take her out?

·
Registered
31,132 Posts
Is she on antibiotics? I really like a product called D-Mannose to use for a uti. It's the sugar in cranberries that helps the urinary tract and is proven to kill ecoli. NOW is a good brand and comes in powder form. Just add to her water twice a day, or mix in with wet food.

You could get her up once during the night to let her out. I wouldn't but you have to do what you think is best for her.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She is on an antibiotic, the first one she was getting sick on. This one has been good so far, I don’t remember what it’s called though.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If she has a UTI, she'll need to go more often than every few hours, I'm afraid. (My sister just went through this with her rottweiler puppy.) It's exhausting, but it's what she will need until the antibiotics kick in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts