German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you encourage or build this behaviour? Pup is super gentle with food, has good food drive and phenomenal prey drive so far, but seems pretty soft in temperament.

I want him to know it’s okay to be pushy, but I’ve never had a pushy puppy. Any advice is appreciated.

Photos for tax:

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
This link might help......https://www.naturaldogblog.com/blog...-to-relax-and-attract-your-dog-using-pushing/

Some of this might be helpful.....some might be BS.......

With my current GSD....I worked her in the " highly energized state"/drive mode as described ..... as I taught her the "touch".....she had to push to get the reward.....but she's rather "pushy" all on her own versus previous GSDs I've had.

FWIW.....it's a daily part of our routine for the past 7 plus years......

SuperG

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That helped a lot, thank you! I couldn’t find any decent articles on my own, so I appreciate it. Will start approaching that tomorrow to see how he starts to respond to it.

If anyone has any other little tricks they’re familiar with I’d appreciate it. Trying not to mess this one up, lol.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Guy is not pushy about food in general. Getting him to follow a lure was a challenge, he simply did not instinctively follow food like my previous pups. He has improved, but I know he will never be super driven about obtaining food like some dogs are.

What I found helped was marking and reinforcing the smallest effort, just him stretching toward my hand, then touching it with his nose, then taking one step, then two, ect... I also gently pushed back toward him with my hand to engage some opposition reflex as he took the food. I worked on just getting him to follow a lure and not teaching any actual skills for a while. I also made sure to use a high value food item and trained when I knew he would be hungry.

The Power of Training Dog's With Food by Micheal Ellis is a good video to watch to learn more about ow to properly use food when training.

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
Hold the food in such a way that they have to work for it. if the food drive is there, he'll figure it out. So just work on being still, let him work for it and then reward.

When he starts pushing well, then start moving slowly backwards.

You can also sit with him in basic position and get him to push.

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
Definitely. High value. I've used baked liver, raw meat, pet fresh food. You want the food soft so they don't chew. You could also cut up larger pieces of Red Barn and hold it so they have to nibble on it as you move. That promotes pushing too.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. He’s getting a bit better as he gets more comfortable with me... he’s VERY pushy when it comes to play or his meal time, so I’m going to take advantage of the meal time I think, and see how pushy he is then. He’s super fun to play with... Ryka used to just attack my hands and feet and never go for the toy, lol. He already likes to play two ball and tugs like a little monster.

Reactions: Jax08
1 - 8 of 8 Posts