German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a rescue that was abused and he is very easily frightened and skittish. He is getting along fairly well with our other German Shepherd, but he is starting to play too rough with our yorkie.

My other Shepherd is very hard dog and when my then girlfriend first brought the yorkie over I was able to quickly correct him being too rough by a quick jerk away and a gentle command. But, with Duke he is far too soft for that, and I don't have a history of trust built up with him for that anyway.

What happens is he will try to start playing and nip at the yorkies face like puppies tend to do, but a 3.5lb yorkie is just too small to take that. he is also too small to correct the shepherd back like a dog his own size could do to let him know he is being too rough.

Currently to correct him I am pulling him away and telling him gentle loudly, and then praising him when he licks the yorkie, or does anything else harmless towards it...but it seems to be getting worse because now then yorkie is so afraid of him he runs, which makes the shepherd want to chase.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I would work on the "leave it" command and keep the play to a minimum so that the yorkie doesn't get hurt.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm thinking it's just a puppy thing and he will grow out of it...the leave it command is a good idea I don't know why I didn't think of that being I use that on my other shepherd when he is being too rough with this one.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
The puppy will learn the boundaries soon :) In the meantime give him lots of outlets for his energy, a tired pup is a well behaved pup ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'm working with that. He is GLUED to my wife being she was the one to go get him. problem is she is HORRIBLE at training no matter how much I try to "train" her. He goes into a panic if she leaves the room...so I'm going to have to wait until she goes back to work before I can get some training in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wife called me at work to tell me he is getting this way with Axel, the 5 y/o Shepherd too. I have had her separate them... looks like we have a lot of work to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts