German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Re: Hey Bama Lorne

Just keep up what you are doing and remember to be FUN, FUN, FUN. As some dogs mature the focus may decrease, that happened with my Mal. I need the focus because of Schutzhund heeling so I had to add some corrections for just disobeying, but as soon as that focus is back you MUST be HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY. Again, I only ask for this kind of focus during heeling because I train for sport.

Thanks Everyone for the nice comments.
Here are some more pics of Gabby & Olex heeling. Pretty nice, job overall. I lost most of her BH routine video. Here sit out of motion was great she got 56 out of 60 (highest BH score in the trial)and the ding was a handler mistake she forgot an about turn.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts

Bama Lorne!! Good to see you!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/05_biggrin.gif

Great pictures and video, andI must say Gabby is really growing up! I guess I have been here for 3 years now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/10_eek.gif

I think my goal in life is to be as good as Gabby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/18_thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

I have never watched any dog trials or such but that video is amazing. You should be so proud. Great work for both
Gaby and GSD in my opinion.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts

Thank you. I have a boy who loses focus very quickly. The technique offered by his trainer in obedience class didn't "take" very well. He looks at me but then is distracted easily, esp when other dogs/people/squirrels/toys are around. Your approach makes a lot more sense. I'm starting right now....

·
Registered
2,415 Posts

Focus is one of the things I stress to my students - without focus, it's really hard to teach any behavior consistently.

I keep the steps I use written out on my website for people to use (www.kippsdogs.com/tips.html). I developed the focus technique I use back in the mid-90's and have used it on my dogs and had hundreds of students use it with great success. It's very similar to Bama Lorne's - an effective technique (as you can see by his photos) and it doesn't require even a leash! I teach my dogs focus when they're very young pups, off-leash in my home, and then I only put a leash on them to keep them with me as I go places to add in more and more distraction. I can heel my young chow outside a busy store with people walking by, carts rattling, etc.

Here's Khana in her first actual competition, July 2006 at the age of 20 months:

Take the time to work on focus - it's well worth it!

By the way, she took first place .. both days of the trial ... and finished her title in her very next trial with a second place (with 19 qualifying dogs).

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

·
Registered
3,279 Posts

Thanks to both of you, I am working on this type of focus. While I was visiting the pups, my breeder talked about focus too. Everything good for the dog should come from looking at you. This is the first dog I'm working on getting good focus so we'll see......

·
Registered
3,654 Posts

Gabby and Olex look awesome!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/18_thumb.gif

I've been working for about 2 or 3 weeks with Bixler on focusing... today, I finally decided he knows and understands the term "watch" and that I could put the prong on and correct him for not looking immedietly or looking away. It was amazing, after one or two corrections, he watched so much more instantly, and steadily, that I didnt really have to even correct him at all after that.
I might be going to quick, but after he started watching so much better, I thought Id try and get him to heel and watch. Well.. that wasn't happening. I took the prong off to practice since we'd never done it before. I am just having a difficult time teaching him to heel and watch... I was using a ball to try and get him to watch, which was how I started teaching him watch, he would watch me, but when I proceeded to go forward he just sat there watching me, when I got to the end of the leash, he started walking but not looking at me at all. So I tried to give him the command while we were already walking, he still wouldnt look at me. Anyone have any suggestions?!?

·
Registered
3,348 Posts

I would say slow down, work on a step out and to the front
and back. then only a few steps forward to start.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Thanks Everyone!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/24_hello.gif

I would not start trying to heel as soon as I get attention. There are a bunch of steps before that. I think there was a post about teaching heeling that gives some tips, but I dont remeber the name /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/22_headscratch.gif

GABBY

·
Registered
663 Posts

When starting out, how long should you try it for? Should I try this a few times a day, once a day? I dont want to over do it, thanks for any adnice, I am very new to all this!

Marie

·
Registered
663 Posts

I am trying to teach my dogs the "watch" command, and someone asked me, what was the purpose for it. And I really couldnt come up with a really good explanation for it, can someone help me explain this?? Thanks!

21 - 40 of 146 Posts