German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Mine dog wouldn't play fetch at all... Even run at the ball at start. So I take treats that he love the most and give him a ball. When he have ball in his mouth I offer treat and he trow a ball and I praise him and give treat. I repeated that maybe 10 times. Tomorrow I throw a ball like 1 meter away and call him to come. When he is in front of me I offer treat and he trow a ball. After that I increased distance and now after maybe one month I just show a ball and treats and he is already crazy and we play fetch every day now... Will post some videos from beginning and from now

I think it is important not to take ball out from his mouth. If he don't react on treats, maybe two same ball are better

PS. you can try first with something other than a ball. My dog love wood sticks and he always running for that and didn't care about ball. Now he like ball and sticks to :))

On picture he is just finished with fetching and very tired :))

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great tips, everyone.

My 7mo old is interested sometimes, and only momentarily, in running after thrown toys. If she does pick them up and wants to tug, I've rewarded with treats when she gives them to me. But then she quickly quits and just wants to do other commands for the treats!

I feel like she looks for the path of least exhaustion.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If you use a ball on a string, it is important that when the dog brings the ball back you play a few seconds of tug and let he win it several times before getting the dog to out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 8 month old will go after a ball a kong a field training dummy no problem. buuut then it becomes keep away...from me. He would rather go chew on it.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts