German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Thunder is 10 weeks old, and I love how his colours are changing, he is a sable. So far about 70% of the time, when asked, he will "come" (get your minds out of the gutter
), down (lie down), sit which is new in the last two days and sometimes he gets confused and downs.

He likes to run to get the ball but only 10-20% of the time will he bring it back, is there a method to get this ratio up.

Is it normal for a 10 week old puppy to only do things "sometimes", am I expecting too much, or did I not teach him properly?

We have had him 2 weeks and 3 days so far

Focus (look at me) is the next thing I want to teach him

·
Super Moderator
32,304 Posts
"Sometimes" means he just doesn't quite get the idea, which is completely normal, especially at his young age. And it means that you need to keep working at it.

Dena was a natural retriever from the beginning, so I didn't have to work with her at all. But Keefer was a slow learner as far as retrieving goes, so I started by just rolling the ball a very short distance. I'd tell him "get the ball", (YES! when he got it), and then "bring the ball", and if he brought it to me, he got TONS of praise and a treat. Over and over and over again. I didn't actually THROW the ball for him for a long time, we had to work on the general concept of "go get it and bring it back" first, and then you make it more difficult.

With Dena I had to work on giving the ball to me when she brought it back, so I told her "give" and stuck a treat right up to her nose. When she dropped the ball I said "YES!" and gave her the treat. Repeat. Now they're both retrieving fools, and extremely competitive about getting to the ball first.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Emma was a natural at bringing the ball back, she's done that since 8 weeks old.

Elle took a while, but over a few weeks she finally got it, now she gets anything I ask her too, even shoes (she's very smart)...

Lots of treats, and praises go a long way when training to fetch!! Goodluck!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the confidence booster. I managed to get a coupla roll overs today which was neat

I think he will chase a ball fine, so I think you are right about the more time thing.

·
Registered
15,954 Posts
Reason: puppy ppuppy puppy

I'd concentrate a lot on playing with the puppy and making everything fun. Puppy brains don't retain much and, also, you don't want to sour the puppy on fetching. Maybe just do it a few times and then move on to something else so fetching is a real special thing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm no training expert by any means, but I think that focus should be the first thing taught. If you can't get your dog's full attention, then often times you will just be barking commands at him as he's paying attention to something else entirely.

Sounds like he is learning unbelievably fast!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts