German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the correct spot for this question.

Emma loves to fetch, but I have been trying to get her to catch. Ill hold the ball over her head and drop it....hits her nose, she gives me a dumb look, then gets it and brings it back. I have also tried bouncing it and the short toss.. She just does not seem to want to catch it in the air for some reason.

My previous guldens loved to take it out of the air and learned this on their own.

I tried dropping treats too, but she let them hit the floor.

Thoughts

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
My dog just did it and I marked it. I don't remember when he started doing it, he just did.
Now he can catch anything including treats.
I have an idea: could you try a ball on a rope? That way you can hold it and swing it in front of her face until she grips it with her teeth.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I started Lisl with a tennis ball. The bright yellow kind so she could keep her eyes on it better.

She's a natural fetcher with a lot of ball drive, so catch was a short step from fetching for her.

I started bouncing it in front of her so that it would hit her in the nose if she didn't open her mouth. She caught on after a few throws.

Now she could play left field for St. Louis. :D

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Partial success :D:D:D The bouncing on the floor in front of her worked. She got it about 1/4 the time. She also caught it in the air once on a straight toss, but I made have scared her a bit in my hollering yes, good girl. Daddy got a bit excited :D

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't think dogs can see in color.

>>>> I started Lisl with a tennis ball. The bright yellow kind so she could keep her eyes on it better.<<<<

She's a natural fetcher with a lot of ball drive, so catch was a short step from fetching for her.

I started bouncing it in front of her so that it would hit her in the nose if she didn't open her mouth. She caught on after a few throws.

Now she could play left field for St. Louis. :D

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I have found a through experience that a dog's depth perception is not all that great. They seem to have trouble telling how close an object is if it is moving directly at them. They see up and down motion and sideway motion much better. Lisl sees the up and down motion of the ball bouncing in front of her and can tell it is getting closer too. It's a matter of eye/mouth coordination.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Riley is 19 weeks and he just started catching. We did start with treats . I toss treats at my other two dogs and he would watch them catch them. I would try to toss them at him but they would bounce off his nose. Then a couple of days ago he started catching them. He'll catch a ball now too.

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts