German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Thanks for taking him on, and truthfully, I think alot of the issues you are having is because he seems to have had no real hands on interaction or training. So it's kind of like you having to teach him EVERYTHING about being a 'dog' in the world of 'humans'. Stuff that we normally and easily train a puppy, so they learn without us even realize we are teaching them (like him taking the treats with your hand
) sounds like he really doesn't 'get it'.

Kind of picture you got a 'wild child' that's only been raised in the woods without people interaction. So manners and training (and I bet your dog doesn't even know you are communicating with him) are zero. He's really hearing 'blah blah blah blah blah' from you. Rather than most of our dogs hear 'blah blah 'sit' blah blah'.

Think time and one on one. Learning to trust and depend on you. Learning that you ARE talking and trying to communicate with him. He'd be ideal for clicker training because it's all positive, clear as a bell when done right, done with food (you can toss it on the ground if you need to initially) and animals get it's a way to COMMUNICATE and work with us. Not a 'them and us' but more a 'we'.

Think patience, time, and one on one is really key here. And I bet once he starts to 'get it' you'll be amazed how fast he progresses in alot of the issues you are currently having. In many ways, he's almost as empty as slate as a 7 week old puppy just coming to your house.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.