German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a Kelpie available I am interested in. She is two years old and doesn't play with toys. She does cheer on the other dogs but won't play herself.
Has anyone here had any success with this? If so, can you describe this?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
This is not uncommon. I adopted Basu at age 4.5 and other than tennis balls he had no idea what to do with a toy or how to play. I considered it a huge victory the day he got excited and came running through the house with my jeans in his mouth. :p

Eventually he became a total toy guy--he would carry little stuffies with him everywhere, even on walks--but what really got him going with toys was a working line foster puppy who was wild for toys. Rio would bring Basu toy after toy and encourage him to play. :wub: After Rio got adopted we just kept it up and he was hooked!

For just general play I did a lot of running one way and encouraging him to chase me and then running the other. I also tossed treats so that he would get the idea of chasing things.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Some dogs never enjoy toys, some you just need to find their type.

Jazzy LOVES stuffies, she'll carry them around and play with them but any other toy she has no interest in. Delgado just loves toys in general, though I have to be careful with stuffies because he destroys most.

I would just had a wide variety available and see if any spark interest, even just going to the petstore and spending time in the toy aisle can help give you an idea what may work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts