German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm struglling to teach my 4 and a half month old male GSD puppy to fetch. At home he shows interest (sometimes) and will fetch thrown toys. He brings them back to me most of the time and waits for the next throw. When we are outside at the beach or at the park, he shows no interest in playing fetch whatsover. Does anyone have ideas how to interest him in playing fetch outside? I'm just looking to get him more exercise, beyond walking. Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
This is the same as teaching any obedience skill. They need to learn it so that it's rock solid at home before taking it outside. It sounds like your pup is only doing it sometimes at home. When he gets to the beach or the park, there are far more interesting smells, sights and sounds.
Then try it outside where there are very few distractions, like in your yard. Slowly progress to higher distraction environments.
I am a firm believer that for a really good fetch, your dog needs to know how "pick it up", "Hold" and "out" as separate and distinct commands....otherwise it is just a game in which interest can wane or be distracted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. We will keep at it.
This is the same as teaching any obedience skill. They need to learn it so that it's rock solid at home before taking it outside. It sounds like your pup is only doing it sometimes at home. When he gets to the beach or the park, there are far more interesting smells, sights and sounds.
Then try it outside where there are very few distractions, like in your yard. Slowly progress to higher distraction environments.
I am a firm believer that for a really good fetch, your dog needs to know how "pick it up", "Hold" and "out" as separate and distinct commands....otherwise it is just a game in which interest can wane or be distracted.
e

·
Registered
285 Posts
"pick it up", "Hold" and "out"
How do you use 'pick it up' and 'hold' and how do you train them?

I use is 'sit', 'wait', toss the toy, 'go get it', 'come', and 'drop'. We are still pretty new at fetch with even minor distractions. I use 'wait' to help remind him to wait for the 'go get it command' and 'come' to help remind pup to bring the toy back to play again. Without the reminder, he tends to give the toy the death shake and then wander off to gnaw on it.

·
Super Moderator
6,106 Posts
Sniffing around is boring for us but actually good mental and physical exercise for a dog.If that is is favorite activity it can be used as a reward.A couple of fetches and a 'free' command.For some dogs it really keeps their enthusiasm going to break whatever you are training into short fun periods.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I taught hold first. Give him a ball or toy, gently keep mouth closed on ball,while saying "hold" then say "ok" and he releases it.
Slowly increase length of time.
Drop ball on floor, when he picks it up, say "pick it up" or "fetch" or whatever you want. Lots of praise, when he does it.
"Out" when I take the ball from him..
Then when actually fetching, I can use the component commands to communicate what I want.
For example, I wanted him to come back with the ball and sit in front of me holding the ball until I take it from him.
At first he used to want me to throw again so quickly that he would sort of spit the ball at me while he was running back. Because he understood the above commands, I would tell him to pick it up and hold it until I took it from him.
Then he would be told to heel and he gets to run after the ball again. After a few repeats, he figures out that I want him to hold the ball and come to sit in front of me without the individual commands.
The correct routine that I want is heel at my side, I throw the ball, He stays there until I say "go", he runs after the ball, retrieves it and comes to a sit in front of me. I take the ball from his mouth, then tell him to heel. He flips into a heel and we go again.
That's how I do it. There are other ways.
I will say that my pup's ball drive is off the charts, so it is really easy to channel that desire.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Interesting thanks,

Ole tends to do a full-speed fly-by when he brings the toy back. He usually drops the ball somewhere with-in 10 feet of me as he runs past. Then, after a few seconds of running around, he sits and waits to go again.

We will do some 'holds' and 'outs' a couple of times to reduce the fly-bys. I was so focused on teaching the 'out' without reducing drive that I forgot about the hold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts