It has to be diluted with a carrier oil.As little as 7 drops of 100% oil has resulted in severe poisoning, and applications of 10-20 mls of 100% oil have resulted in poisoning and death in both dogs and cats
exactly. You don't want to use any essential oil direct out of the bottle. Unless you're sticking it in a diffuser...Quote:
As little as 7 drops of 100% oil has resulted in severe poisoning, and applications of 10-20 mls of 100% oil have resulted in poisoning and death in both dogs and cats
It has to be diluted with a carrier oil.
It is not hard to dilute it to make it safe. I put a few drops into a tablespoon and fill the rest of the spoon with olive oil.I posted this because I just read an article in my "Your dog" newsletter yesterday that comes from Tufts University (April 2014 issue) about tea tree oil.
Because it is so toxic and hard to dilute it enough to make it safe to use they don't recommend using it at all. The oil is rapidly absorbed through the skin according to the article and there is no antidote...why take the chance?
But if you want to continue to use it, knock yourself out! But some other members might appreciate the warning before they put this on their animals and that's the purpose of my post
Did you read my last post???? By all means USE IT!!!It is not hard to dilute it to make it safe. I put a few drops into a tablespoon and fill the rest of the spoon with olive oil.
Read the link you posted - "application of 10-20 mls" The WHOLE bottle of tea tree oil is about 4 mls. So I would have to dump over two bottles of straight tea tree oil on my dog...seems hard to accidentally overdose. There are many, many things that are poisonous if given too much or used incorrectly, it certainly does not mean that they are unsafe or should not be used. Why use it? Because I'd rather use something natural on my dog than chemicals. Correct use is important and I don't think anyone recommends using it directly on skin.
By the way, if you Google tea tree oil dog, you will find lots of info from vets about its recommended use. All cites explicitly state to dilute it and not use it orally. But, many vets recommend its use for certain ailments.
Of course I read it and immediately disregarded what you wrote. I will take the advise from a well know veterinary teaching hospital over yours any day...have a good dayOf course I read it, that's why I responded that it is actually NOT hard to dilute it. Did you read my post :wild: LOL
That's great. I also take advice from vets. I'd really like to read the article - do you have the link to it?Of course I read it and immediately disregarded what you wrote. I will take the advise from a well know veterinary teaching hospital over yours any day...have a good day
I don't think it is a good thing to post that something is toxic in general and then not back it up with any information, except a link that specifically states that 100% oil is toxic in large doses and in much smaller doses when ingested. While that is important information for people to know, I have never seen anyone suggest to use it in one of those ways.If anyone that uses tea tree oil wants to read the article they can order a copy, I think it's $4.
The article is called: What's the Deal with Tea Tree Oil? Healing elixir or deadly poison?