German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I use tea tree oil, diluted with olive oil when my dog gets a yeasty patch from not drying fully during the summer. Always worked great! My vet has never so much batted an eye at the idea and even said it was a good idea. I know not to let him eat it, and diluting it is very important. Straight tea tree oil is not good! Nor is tea tree oil good for cats. But diluted with a carrier oil, like olive oil, it can be used for many things.

The website you linked even says

As little as 7 drops of 100% oil has resulted in severe poisoning, and applications of 10-20 mls of 100% oil have resulted in poisoning and death in both dogs and cats
It has to be diluted with a carrier oil.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Quote:
As little as 7 drops of 100% oil has resulted in severe poisoning, and applications of 10-20 mls of 100% oil have resulted in poisoning and death in both dogs and cats
It has to be diluted with a carrier oil.
exactly. You don't want to use any essential oil direct out of the bottle. Unless you're sticking it in a diffuser...

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
the cashman had a terrible allergic reaction when he was young to some tea tree oil i put on him (learned that lesson fast, yes i did).

·
Premium Member
11,219 Posts
I have used it straight to deter licking and causing a granuloma...but found some in a spray bottle that is diluted...

Lee

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I posted this because I just read an article in my "Your dog" newsletter yesterday that comes from Tufts University (April 2014 issue) about tea tree oil.

Because it is so toxic and hard to dilute it enough to make it safe to use they don't recommend using it at all. The oil is rapidly absorbed through the skin according to the article and there is no antidote...why take the chance?

But if you want to continue to use it, knock yourself out! But some other members might appreciate the warning before they put this on their animals and that's the purpose of my post :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I posted this because I just read an article in my "Your dog" newsletter yesterday that comes from Tufts University (April 2014 issue) about tea tree oil.

Because it is so toxic and hard to dilute it enough to make it safe to use they don't recommend using it at all. The oil is rapidly absorbed through the skin according to the article and there is no antidote...why take the chance?

But if you want to continue to use it, knock yourself out! But some other members might appreciate the warning before they put this on their animals and that's the purpose of my post :rolleyes:
It is not hard to dilute it to make it safe. I put a few drops into a tablespoon and fill the rest of the spoon with olive oil.
Read the link you posted - "application of 10-20 mls" The WHOLE bottle of tea tree oil is about 4 mls. So I would have to dump over two bottles of straight tea tree oil on my dog...seems hard to accidentally overdose. There are many, many things that are poisonous if given too much or used incorrectly, it certainly does not mean that they are unsafe or should not be used. Why use it? Because I'd rather use something natural on my dog than chemicals. Correct use is important and I don't think anyone recommends using it directly on skin.

By the way, if you Google tea tree oil dog, you will find lots of info from vets about its recommended use. All cites explicitly state to dilute it and not use it orally. But, many vets recommend its use for certain ailments.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is not hard to dilute it to make it safe. I put a few drops into a tablespoon and fill the rest of the spoon with olive oil.
Read the link you posted - "application of 10-20 mls" The WHOLE bottle of tea tree oil is about 4 mls. So I would have to dump over two bottles of straight tea tree oil on my dog...seems hard to accidentally overdose. There are many, many things that are poisonous if given too much or used incorrectly, it certainly does not mean that they are unsafe or should not be used. Why use it? Because I'd rather use something natural on my dog than chemicals. Correct use is important and I don't think anyone recommends using it directly on skin.

By the way, if you Google tea tree oil dog, you will find lots of info from vets about its recommended use. All cites explicitly state to dilute it and not use it orally. But, many vets recommend its use for certain ailments.
Did you read my last post???? By all means USE IT!!!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Of course I read it, that's why I responded that it is actually NOT hard to dilute it. Did you read my post :wild: LOL
Of course I read it and immediately disregarded what you wrote. I will take the advise from a well know veterinary teaching hospital over yours any day...have a good day :)

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Of course I read it and immediately disregarded what you wrote. I will take the advise from a well know veterinary teaching hospital over yours any day...have a good day :)
That's great. I also take advice from vets. I'd really like to read the article - do you have the link to it?

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
No link, you have to pay for the newsletter. Your Dog

Okay. Well can you provide a quote of what it said, then? I'm really interested to know exactly what it is referring to, as everything I have ever read about toxicity is for 100% oil or ingestion.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If anyone that uses tea tree oil wants to read the article they can order a copy, I think it's $4.

The article is called: What's the Deal with Tea Tree Oil? Healing elixir or deadly poison?

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
If anyone that uses tea tree oil wants to read the article they can order a copy, I think it's $4.

The article is called: What's the Deal with Tea Tree Oil? Healing elixir or deadly poison?
I don't think it is a good thing to post that something is toxic in general and then not back it up with any information, except a link that specifically states that 100% oil is toxic in large doses and in much smaller doses when ingested. While that is important information for people to know, I have never seen anyone suggest to use it in one of those ways.

It is not against board rules to quote a small amount of text and cite it. Without any information to back it up, you are essentially spreading misinformation, which is against board rules.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Look, I'm not trying to cause an argument. I like to have factual information and I think it is important for this board to consist of factual information. One way or the other, whichever is fact, it is important for it to be known.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts