German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you have to get a tat done before they're 12 weeks otherwise they have to be under sedation. However, I got Grim right before 11 weeks and was spending the time bonding with him and time got away from me. Now I still want to get his tattoo done, but I don't know how to go about it. I don't think vets do the tattoo, and the people that do I don't think are certified to do the sedation. Anyone do this with an older pup? If so, how did you do it?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Why the sedation? I've heard of a few older pups getting their ear tattood. I think Nikon got his at 12 weeks, maybe it was 14.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I've had my dogs ears tattooed as late as 9 months, and another at 6 months. No problems and no sedation.
(I would say if they are ' antsy' about getting their ears touched, you COULD do a light sedation... I'd let the vet make that call)

My vet will do it if you bring your own ink and gun.

JMO.

:) Kat

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, those are the rules according to the people in charge of the IPO stuff.. I forget what the name of the thing is right now (bad flare). I talked to a guy who was the regional tattoo person before the move, and he said only until 12 weeks or they had to sedate according to the rules. I looked it up, and he was right. I don't know who else to take him to in order to have the tattoo done. :confused:

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Since when does IPO make rules about that kind of stuff? Seems kind of weird. I can see if you are using a tattoo pen (like how we humans get tats) the dog would need to be sedated but the clamp is instant and I don't see how it hurts any more or less at 12 weeks vs 13 weeks, 14 weeks.... The main consideration I know of is that no one is really sure how much risk there is of damaging ear cartilage with the clamp so people do it right away (often 6-8 weeks) while the ears are still soft and going up and down.

·
Premium Member
11,210 Posts
have seen 6 mo to 1 year dogs get their ears tatooed....as long as someone could hold them.....contact the local clubs like OG Buckeye.....I have seen Michelle do an older pup without sedation

You don't NEED a tatoo at this time - microchip is acceptable - since he does not have a tatoo from breeder with recognizable format, it won't make him any more easily traceable - the microchip will if registered

Lee

1 - 6 of 6 Posts