German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wandering how many people use taste of the wild and if they like it.I am in the process of switching food for my 9wk old pup.She is currently on Iams puppy thats what the breeder had her on. I was going to switch to wellness but was told taste of the wild was also good. Both are avail.at a local petsmart.Thanks

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I feed TOTW. I love it.

Although, do not think that the 3(4?) different kinds are interchangable. You can still feed the different kinds, but remember to do a slow switch, about 15-20 days.

Recently there were two people on the forum(including myself) who made this mistake, so just forwarning :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've looked for Wellness, and have found it, however I'm unable to find it in a 3-5lb bag to try first. They only sale the large bags here for around $30, I do not want to buy one and found the Nuhkia doesn't like it, therefore I'm on a wall trying what to switch to.

Unfortunately the Innova puppy I have her on, the retailers don't carry the LBP kind, which is what the vet told me to switch to. So I have no idea what to switch to.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
This has been discussed plenty of times if you want to read some of the numerous old threads on the subject, but to sum it up, don't feed TOTW to a large breed puppy under 18 months (24 to really be safe). It has too much calcium.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Taste of the wild or Wellness is a better choice than IAMS.
I've had my 13 month old on TOTW salmon, since I got her at 4 months, breeder was feeding Fromm. I would feed Fromm but I can't get it in this area. TOTW was the closes thing to it. She also gets chic necks, & backs, raw meaty bones, eggs, and veggies. My male is on Chic soup for the dog lovers soul. Same company as TOTW, he has food allergies, and is doing well on it.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Taste of the wild or Wellness is a better choice than IAMS.
id agree this is an accurate statement in general, but not necessarily in this application.

if the higher Ca in TOTW causes any serious growth problem, then no, it wont have turned out being better than iams. even on iams, genetics will take the dog to whatever adult size they were meant to be.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I just put my 5 mo old on TOTW last week. It said it was for all ages. I have switched his food every time now...so, Should I switch it back to Eagle Pack? I did notice he had a significant growth this last week on this food. typically 2-3lbs. I tool him in and it was 4.5lbs growth...eek!

·
Registered
130 Posts
TOTW is on the higher side of what most recommend to feed to LBP, however I dont feel that a well bred GSD (female) would be a problem. They are hardly a true LBP and most will top out at 50-60 pounds. If you are super worried about it feed the lamb version as it has a lower cal level then the others. As fed it is 1.6 while another highly valued company is 1.7. I am feeding the wetlands to my 14 month old and lamb to my 12 week old. I was feeding Acana and Orejin before this and they do much better on TOTW. For the price TOTW cant be beat! Also a 30 pound bag of TOTW lasted me 6 days longer then the 29.7 pound bag of Orejin? I was feeding 4 cups to maintain on it and only 3.5-4 on TOTW. (This could be do to slower growth rates however) I liked the LBP formula from Orejin and my dog looked great but I hated Acana and both dogs have struggled on it. They both seem to be doing really well on TOTW.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I feed my GSD TOTW and he loves it. I rotate through all 4 formulas.

I wouldn't feed a puppy TOTW though. I would wait until the dog is at least a year old before being put on this kibble.

·
Registered
441 Posts
ok..I bought a bag of Eagle Pack and mixed it with the TOTW. I will keep him on that until he's about 18mo

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I started with Nature's Variety but Stosh just didn't like it. So I switched to Orijen, driving 90 mins to get it because I was convinced it's the best and he's done really well on it. Because it's so expensive, I bought a bag of TOTW- the red meat formula- to make the Orijen go farther and he LOVES the TOTW. Paws down, it's his favorite food! He loves it so much that I have to give it to him after he eats the Orijen or he'd push it to the side. So I think he'll be a TOTW dog from now on

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
there's lots of preminum foods out there. pick one. if that
doesn't work or your dog doesn't like it pick another one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I've been having typical stubborn GSD food situation. It started around Xmas when she lived with our relative for a few months while we moved. During which time I am told she was spoiled so when she got back to us we've been doing the whole "eat when I put the food down or you can wait until dinner". It seemed like it was working ... but 2 months later she is still super hesitant about her food. She was on Wellness LBP before and switched her to Wellness core around the 1 year mark. Now she's still being stubborn about Wellness core original recipe so I just bought a bag for TOTW Wetlands to try it out. I don't know if it's her stubbornness about food now or that she doesn't like the taste of it. Overall TOTW saves us a bit of money for the non-chicken formulas so that helps. How long should I wait to see if she's going to like the food before I try another formula? I mean I don't want to give in to her stubbornness but I don't want to force her to eat something she doesn't like the taste of either.

I miss the days she would come running whenever she knew I was about to feed her. She would even whine if I made her do too much obedience work before letting her take the food. Now she barely wants to come into the kitchen to take the food when I let her take it. I've even tried moving the food to somewhere else in case it's the kitchen she doesn't like.

How is the TOTW Prairie formula compared to the Wetlands?

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
You have replied to an OLD thread. Right now TOTW has been recalled due to Samonella and a lot of folks are moving to other brands. At the very least you should check to make sure the bag you bought was not one of those recalled. .......

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
You have replied to an OLD thread. Right now TOTW has been recalled due to Samonella and a lot of folks are moving to other brands. At the very least you should check to make sure the bag you bought was not one of those recalled. .......
I thought the recall was just for the basic Diamond brand? I've been feeding my dogs TOTW for years now. I just bought some last week. No recall here.

I was checking here because my 5 mon old puppy is refusing to eat his puppy kibble because he can smell the dogs eating TOTW LOL I have started mixing the 2 dog foods. I was wondering if I can switch him to TOTW since he is an Aussie, not a LBP.

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
I feed my GSD TOTW and he loves it. I rotate through all 4 formulas.

I wouldn't feed a puppy TOTW though. I would wait until the dog is at least a year old before being put on this kibble.
I TOTALLY AGREE!!!
Here are some other good brands to throw in your mix

Orijen, Acana, Horizon Legacy, Go, Endurance Only. Fromm, Merrick, Precise Holistic, Wellness Core, Castor and Pollux Natural Ultramix G.F. Earthborn Holistic, Primitive Natural, Evo, Go! Fit and Free, Nature’s Variety Instinct, Pinnacle Peak Protein Formula, Solid Gold, Timberwolf, Canidea Pure Elements, Darford Zero/G Dog Food

·
Registered
120 Posts
The authorized ToTW importer in India recommends ToTW Wetlands for 5 months, and then rotate between Pacific Stream Canine Formula and Canyon River Feline Formula, the only options available in India.

Does it make sense? A lot of people here are saying calcium levels are too high for young dogs, and I don't want to mess up my puppy's system

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
The authorized ToTW importer in India recommends ToTW Wetlands for 5 months, and then rotate between Pacific Stream Canine Formula and Canyon River Feline Formula, the only options available in India.

Does it make sense? A lot of people here are saying calcium levels are too high for young dogs, and I don't want to mess up my puppy's system

I would NOT feed a puppy/dog CAT FOOD!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I thought the recall was just for the basic Diamond brand? I've been feeding my dogs TOTW for years now. I just bought some last week. No recall here.

I was checking here because my 5 mon old puppy is refusing to eat his puppy kibble because he can smell the dogs eating TOTW LOL I have started mixing the 2 dog foods. I was wondering if I can switch him to TOTW since he is an Aussie, not a LBP.
Why not just feed Mojo one of the TOTW puppy formulas??

1 - 20 of 29 Posts