German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys It’s seems like the time to tape one of her ears is looming on me as we’ve reached 6 months. Was hoping to get some solid instructions from someone with knowledge and experience and maybe some tips to ensure I don’t mess it up. ps we are at 25.5 inches tall at the withers and she’s filling out fast. Ive got to do a solid weighing of her next time we head to the vet but her growth is looking good. we are doing an embark test soon.

·
Registered
Charlie (DOB 11/24/20)
632 Posts
Id wait, my friends GSD had floppy ears until he was 7 months, and I've seen people here say theirs didn't stand til 9 months and even later, no reason to worry about and go through the whole process of taping where you could do more bad then good imo

my chi mix had floppy ears until she turned 2, then they randomly stood up one day and never went back down, lol

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I'd leave it alone. If it's been up, it should go back up. FYI - Females are supposed to be 22-24" tall at the shoulder.

Reactions: Pawsed

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd leave it alone. If it's been up, it should go back up. FYI - Females are supposed to be 22-24" tall at the shoulder.
I suspect she still has a little growing to do so I’m unsure where that will end up. Ive been worried the ear would stay flopped just because she was playing rough when it fell.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
My dog is one of the ones here whose ear didn't stand until 9 months. We had another dog whose ear took that long, too.

I would leave it alone. I'm a firm believer that if it's meant to come up, it will. If it's not meant to, you can't force it to stand.

At 6 months our current dog had one erect ear and one completely flopped ear. He just needed more time to get that left ear organized.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
So let me get this straight. You did not want to pay for a purebred, but you don't want a mix. You bought what you were told was a GSD/Pyr mix, Pyr's have floppy ears. But now you want to make sure she looks like a GSD so you are going to tape her ears. There is ample proof that you could do irreparable damage to the ears by taping and zero proof that it actually helps.
Just wow.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is the ear healthy? How long ago was this and was there any damage? My dog Bear had hematomas in both ears from playing.
The ear is healthy smooth she can make it stand when she sees something interesting or hears the treat bag however it has a small crease but nothing major. I’m worried about ear infections in that ear so we have to clean it all the time. Her ear that stands is always clean but the flipper gets nasty daily. The vet mentioned it was due to it not having good air flow from flopping.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So let me get this straight. You did not want to pay for a purebred, but you don't want a mix. You bought what you were told was a GSD/Pyr mix, Pyr's have floppy ears. But now you want to make sure she looks like a GSD so you are going to tape her ears. There is ample proof that you could do irreparable damage to the ears by taping and zero proof that it actually helps.
Just wow.
Uhm. No. No. And No. One of her ears stand one flopped from playing rough. It had nothing to do with money everything to do with my beliefs- I didn’t want to get a purebred when I could bring home a rescue that needed a home. Also the ear problem has nothing to do with her appearance. She’s beautiful. Her ear gets dirty and she is more prone to ear infections and the vet says it’s due to her flop on that one side. Both ears stand when she hears something interesting. One flops when she relaxes. Please instead of assuming something about my reasonings on something ask. You can say all you want to paint me out to be the bad guy if that’s the pre formed notion and what you want to see. However her well being is my top concern. Also he only reason I decided to consider it was because a lot of breeders that are knowledgeable on ears flopping after they’ve stood have used it to help build the muscles again. They have said they did it at 6-7 months so I turned to the forum. Why do you have to paint me as someone like that when you don’t even know me?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just wow.
Also her littermates ears are standing.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
The ear is healthy smooth she can make it stand when she sees something interesting or hears the treat bag however it has a small crease but nothing major. I’m worried about ear infections in that ear so we have to clean it all the time. Her ear that stands is always clean but the flipper gets nasty daily. The vet mentioned it was due to it not having good air flow from flopping.
It doesn’t sound like your dogs ear went down from rough play. It sounds like it will go up on its own and you have no reason to tape it.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Also her littermates ears are standing.
So? My sister is 5'5, I'm 5'8". She has blond hair and green eyes, I have brown hair and grey eyes.
I have a GSD laying on my couch who's ears did not stand until she was nearly a year. If you want a dog with pointy ears you buy a dog with pointy ears. Taping a mixes ears is just cruel.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Neb is a mix (with zero GSD, but he's part husky and spitz, pointy-eared breeds, which is why I'm mentioning him). One ear is fully erect, the other the tip flops over (he's also part lab and parson russell terrier, and that's a PRT ear shape, albeit his partially erect ear is a lot bigger than a PRT's).

When he was younger he had some issues with ear infections, but they went away after around 12, 15 months. What changed? No clue. But he's not had one since. So if Akira is getting ear infections in that ear, it seems easier to keep it clean (daily if need be) and make sure it's dry (microfiber towels are your friend!...we also have a beagle, speaking of ears) rather than taping it which can be damaging and certainly does not sound comfortable.

You could also talk to your vet about whether there are preventative drops or something you could put in semi-regularly to stop infections from occurring. I've no idea if there is, but it's a thought. What sort of infections is she getting? Is the ear damp, or...?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Does the floppy ear actually get more ear infections or are you just worried about it? Also, how are you cleaning it? Floppy eared dogs are more prone to ear infections because the moisture that gets trapped in there lends to more bacteria growth. Usually it would be more of an issue with a basset hound or cocker spaniel, a dog with big big floppy ears. Any dog can get ear infections, so even if Akira is you can’t be sure it’s because of the floppy ear. If you let your dog run around I’d think the floppy ear would get plenty of air flow, if it doesn’t already just standing and laying around. I wonder what the vet would say if you asked them if taping the ear to reduce the likelihood hood of ear infections is a reasonable and good idea.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Neb is a mix (with zero GSD, but he's part husky and spitz, pointy-eared breeds, which is why I'm mentioning him). One ear is fully erect, the other the tip flops over (he's also part lab and parson russell terrier, and that's a PRT ear shape, albeit his partially erect ear is a lot bigger than a PRT's).

When he was younger he had some issues with ear infections, but they went away after around 12, 15 months. What changed? No clue. But he's not had one since. So if Akira is getting ear infections in that ear, it seems easier to keep it clean (daily if need be) and make sure it's dry (microfiber towels are your friend!...we also have a beagle, speaking of ears) rather than taping it which can be damaging and certainly does not sound comfortable.

You could also talk to your vet about whether there are preventative drops or something you could put in semi-regularly to stop infections from occurring. I've no idea if there is, but it's a thought. What sort of infections is she getting? Is the ear damp, or...?
she has these minor ear infections due to the moisture trapped. nothing serious yet due to the build up of moisture in her ear. I clean it with a solution the vet gave me also with these wipes she gave me 1-2 a day as she said. If I clean before dinner by the next dinner it’s black and smells awful. the ear looks irritated and the vet says to just keep cleaning. I will ask about preventative measures. I told the vet and she said at some point the ears should stand again if they had already stood before. I will try the microfiber

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does the floppy ear actually get more ear infections or are you just worried about it? Also, how are you cleaning it? Floppy eared dogs are more prone to ear infections because the moisture that gets trapped in there lends to more bacteria growth. Usually it would be more of an issue with a basset hound or cocker spaniel, a dog with big big floppy ears. Any dog can get ear infections, so even if Akira is you can’t be sure it’s because of the floppy ear. If you let your dog run around I’d think the floppy ear would get plenty of air flow, if it doesn’t already just standing and laying around. I wonder what the vet would say if you asked them if taping the ear to reduce the likelihood hood of ear infections is a reasonable and good idea.
it gets minor infections currently but I am worried they will get worst. I use prescription ear cleaner and wipes the vet recommended 1-2x daily as the vet recommended but it’s like an endless battle. she has free access outside whenever she wants and plays a lot so I’m unsure. I’m mainly worried because when the ear was standing it stayed clean when it fell it got nasty and she gets itchy.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts