German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed something lately, never really thought about it or realized it before. But I think Tanner is also protective of the kids who are across the street at the daycare/ elementary school.

I live across the street from a Daycare, for kids 2-4 years old , it is also an After school care place for the elementary schools and it also has an elementary school.

We mostly have view of the little kids daycare & after school care. Well anyways, I noticed something.Every time the kids across the street are outside playing in the little playground Tanner goes and lays by the front door and watches them and then when they go back in he leaves.

Its as if he is their watch dog.lol.I don't mind it, we never trained him to do this or anything. He has always done, but I have never really thought that much about it. Also when the elementary school gets out for the day, Tanner will go to the front door and watch the kids and then once all the kids are gone he will leave and go on about his business. But he will not leave the front door until all the kids are safe inside or all the kids are taken home or with their parents.

Recently there was a creepy old van parked across the street form the school. I was walking Tanner and we were about to cross onto our block. The school had just let out and some got out of the van and started following these little kids. Tanner lets out a huge bark, and growls loudly the guy jumps, turns around and sees Tanner barked again and growls and the guy then jumps into his van and leaves. Then Tanner gives me the "Ok its safe now look"continues to watch the kids and parents and we continue on our way home.

I have a feeling Tanner thinks its his duty to not only protect me and my family, but also these kids. He has a second job.lol.

I don't what it is, but I guess Tanner feels the need to watch these kids even though they aren't in our pack/family.He is their protector also.No one asked him to do it he just does it. Tanner loves kids, and kids always ask to pet him when they see me walking him, he loves the attention.lol.

I thought this cool and thought I'd share it with you. Anyone else have similar experiences?

·
Registered
93 Posts
How wonderful! Gustav is always protecting children, must be an instinct, thinks of them as his "sheep" lol. If we are walking all 4 dogs and we stop to let children pet them (we do this alot because we don't have children who don't have four legs and we want them socialized well) I tell the parents, when he growls after a few minutes, its not at you, its at his buddies. Goose is a lot of loud! Sure enough, after a few minutes, he tells everyone "ok its enough, these guys are under my protestion now".

·
Registered
344 Posts
tanner is a hero dog! janisinsc made a great reference with the sheep. That's what they were originally bread for, to watch after the flock! I have noticed with the shepherds i've owned that they seem to sense bad intentions...or maybe pick up on my fears when i see someone i feel is sketchy. Either way, great job tanner! THe fact that the guy ran just proves his intentions were the worst.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The kids across the street are at recess and Tanner is by the door watching them.lol.

He is on duty I better leave him alone.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
How cute! :)

My pitbull does something a little less cool, but similar. He always sleeps right outside my bedroom door to make sure he knows when I come and go.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I love this! My Morgan (died 3 years ago) would not tolerate many things or people, but she felt protective of EVERYONE who went near the water, no matter who they were.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
did you report the guy in the
van to the police. did you tell
anyone on the staff at the school
about the guy in the van?

a guy in a van, gets out of van,
follows school kids, returns to van
after your dog barked. that's shady.

·
Registered