German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were talking about Beaucerons, and I ran across this breed today. It never fails that at least once a day I read somewhere on a Georgia forum about someone wanting a "wolf dog" because they "look cool." Inevitably someone suggests getting a Siberian Husky or Husky mix (since wolves and wolf "hybrids" are illegal in Georgia to keep as pets,) and the follow-up is always, "I have owned a Husky before, and it didn't look as cool as a wolf dog."

So I found these today: Tamaskan Wolf Dogs.
"The Wolf-Dog without the wolf."

http://www.tamaskan-dog.com/Galleries/Photo%20Gallery/photo-gallery.htm

Does anyone know anything about them? Other than what you can read online? lol I think I read somewhere that they were considered an "arctic breed."

I thought it would be a good suggestion for someone who has owned Huskies/Arctic breeds but like think "wolf dogs look cool."

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I thought that the Tamaskan and Utonagon looked like wolves but have no wolf content, where as the Saarloos and The Czech are both part wolf.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
The original Saarloos wolfhound (named after the Dutch breeder) was the result of crossing a GSD male with a female Eurasian wolf. The purpose was to try and create a dog which was more resistant to distemper.(It didn't work.)

I had never heard of the Tamaskan, or that it really got going in the UK. Beautiful looking though.....

Anja GSD
Conor GSD - adopted from this Board
Blue GSD - waiting at the Bridge

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, i know this topic is really old, but i do know a bit about the tamaskan dog and figured id spill it here in case anyone was still curious.
the tamaskan dog is a DOG, not a wolfdog. unfortunately due to the rising popularity of this breed there have been attempts to duplicate this- primarily by one kennel that claims to be the only breeder of the "tamaskan wolfdog" or "american tamaskan". thee however are not registered tamaskans and the real breed actually contains no wolf content.
the point of the breed is to look as wolfy as possible while having the temperament of a dog.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Well, they said that the founding dogs were Siberian type Husky origin unknown. Who says that there isn't wolf in there? How do they know that those dogs, imported from the US hadn't wolf?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I was actually just searching through these guys the other day. They say the Tamaskan goes by other names like the Northern Inuit and Utonagan. They definitely do look wolf-ish but they still seem more like experimental dogs. I'd still settle for a GSD.

·
Registered
149 Posts
They really have a wild wolf look!! I think it would appeal to those wanting the look.

I was looking at this video today and noticed how wolfish this old german sheepdog looked. Wonder if they were utilized too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYbJ2XMx5...rom=PL&index=13
If you read the description for the video it says its half saarloos wolf-dog mixed with a fuchs type old german shepherd. Beautiful dog though, looks like The Little Hobo dog.

·
Registered
319 Posts
wonderful looking dog. they've done some nice work here. looks like the origin of the breed is the Northern Inuit and it's worked it's way 'round to Tamaska. it's so very new and still got some real quality there. i hope they make it work so people quit wanting the wolfdog mixes. that would solve such a terrible issue.

dw~

·
Registered
866 Posts
There's too much secrecy in the clubs themselves and too much infighting.

I love dogs, but not politics (other than reasonable debate), and I'd rather not get myself mixed up in the middle. If the two clubs/registries stop the infighting and agree to make things public instead of hiding them behind closed doors, I'd definitely consider owning one in the future.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts